Engine bogging

GoldenMotor.com

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
I'm glad it worked for you too. I used to work on a lot of small engine stuff with a lot of different carburetors and except for maybe a few lawn mowers that is a cheesy half baked idea of a way to attach the carb to the manifold. The top is an air leak waiting to happen I hate almost everything about a carb that looks like that. I'm talking about the CNS carb.

A two stroke should come up "on the pipe" at higher rpm and pull pretty hard if it don't its starving for fuel so open up the main if you have to but for 12 or 14 bucks for the obvious to me anyway fix is just get the right carb and have that fixed cause I got other things to check like brakes, spokes, tire pressure lol. dance1

Ride Like The Wind

Mar 6, 2011
WA
Same problem, same engine, same carb, only mine chokes out at half-throttle. It will chug up a mild hill, but no more. I don't understand what you are saying about drilling, but will be watching for updates.

Sounds to me like "That Guy On a Bike" has the best solution: Just buy the NT carb. I wish I had seen these posts before I chose the "High-Performance" CNS carb as an option.

Has anyone checked with Grubee or the dealers?

:-||

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
More gas is what I was thinking all along.
These carbs definitely need to be sealed, very poor design.
Also when my float was not adjusted right the pin would get stuck open and gas would run out the overflow.
...still not convinced this thing could ever run the way i want it.
I have been able to make the CNS carbs sing on a 66cc but I have yet to make one run well on 48cc including the new 2010 48cc Skyhawk I have been dicking with for 3 full days now.

The CNS carbs say 66cc right on them.
I have come to the conclusion that a 48cc motor, even with an expansion chamber, simply does not have enough airflow to make those CNS carbs run properly.

I tested this yesterday.
New 2010 Skyhawk 48cc motor.
CNS Bogs with throttle stock.
Runs pretty good with an NT.
Sings with an NT and one piece X-chamber. (32 MPH in 1/10 mile with gears)
Runs a little better but still bogs with a CNS and X-chamber.

Now to get the motor suppliers to acknowledge this and start replacing the CNS with an NT on new 48cc kits for no charge.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, they may need to include the 66 NCS in a 48cc kit to get it on shore, but that don't mean the kit I buy here can't have some parts swapped for a 'custom order'.
SInce an CNS costs more I would think that gasbike and kings would be happy to keep the CNS's and put NT's in the 48cc kits if that is what it takes to make the motors run.

If not to heck with them and the 2010 motors.
I'm not going to cough up an extra $25 for every 48cc motor I buy just to make it run.

I take that back about gasbike wanting to make things better, they would just rather settle.
I mentioned a month or two ago I bought 3 2010 Skyhawks that were missing gaskets.
When I ordered my next motor kit I specified in the shipping instructions and made a call to sales to say I would not accept the motor if the missing parts from the earlier order were not it.

They weren't and I disputed the charge in PayPal.
My comment was 'send the truck back for the box no charge to me, or give me a partial refund of $77.80
My PayPal was credited back $77.80 on a $177.87 order.

I just hope Kings is better.
They are the same holding company, I just hope it is different people running it.
My e-mail concerning the 48cc carb issue went out this morning, either they want to play ball or they don't, up to them.

Regardless business is picking up every day and I can get 2009 motors elsewhere.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I just ordered an NT carb preemptively just so when I get frustrated with my CNS I can give up and just ride. lol
What's going to happen next month, or next year, or 5 years from now?
What will the carby situation be then?
Better to stock up on the NTs now while they are still available.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Considering how cheap they are I don't think I would sell a bike with only a CNS carb. Assuming I got it tuned with the CNS I would tell them if they have bogging issues that they don't want to deal with to switch carbs and that will probably fix it.

Near as I can tell the bogging is exclusively an air leaking problem which needs to be plugged meticulously.

Another reason i think I want to use the NT carb is that I'm riding a 21-speed and with two derailers and two brakes and my clutch and my throttle that's 6 cables coming off my handlebars. I don't really need the convenience of the clutch control when it means a seventh cable coming off the handlebars.

Last edited:

skyhawk66cc

May 2, 2011
Washington
I have that stupid CNS gen b (Red air filter housing)(I also read that it’s called the speed carb???) on my 66cc Skyhawk and iv about had it with it, can’t get it tuned right, bogs down can’t get it to idle. After about 10 mins of riding when the motor warms up there is no power hard to keep it running, I have to constantly play with the choke and when it is running the choke has to be on full on or it dies. I’m going to order this NT that everybody is talking about so I can ride instead of play with the thing constantly. I want reliability; I don’t need the fastest thing on the road just want to get where I’m going. I have a 12 mile ride to work and don’t need the problems, I’ve yet to make it a mile without it crapping out on me. I am new to motorized bikes and don’t know much about them but so far I’m trying to keep my head up and act like it’s the greatest thing because my wife is p***ed that I ordered a motor for my bike LOL. Any tips on other parts to make it more reliable?

-skyhawk66cc :-||

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
When you install the NT it will be like night and day.
I think you will be very happy with the simplicity and ease of adjustment of the NT carb.

thunderbolts

Apr 23, 2011
Maine
Yup been there done that and YA-HOO off we go, But try to tell KINGS that !!!!! thay just took my money and ran, LOL Live and learn. Atleast I don't have a wife to try to get to ...... well you know, or have to listen to bi*#h. I was on the phone with Kings for 2 hrs on monday with a lady sales rep. I extencively explained to her that I had just swaped out the CNS and installed a NT. In doing this the new 48 ran like my pre 2010 80cc. I explained to her this, Just have some one put togather a kit be it 48 or 80 cc throw the CNS carb in the trash lol, and install a NT with the old throttle kit. If you want i will veido my self doing it to pepve that this simple swap fix's all ...... most lol,,, all ther problem's Will they do it ???????? WORKED FOR ME WEEEEEEE drive it like ya stole it. I told her that her boss's witch are young ummmm I dont want to stero type , one of them knows witch end of a screwdriver to look at :)lol Just mabey they will send you on a cruise or give ya a big new position with a title if you can solve there biggest problem for them, but she has to take me along :) I have started my quest to get to talk to this person again at KINGS I say quest because i know it will take be a great journey of endless on HOLD to get a real person ....... oh unless your a first time caller and a buyer ,,,,, That would be Kings, any one have a problem with them they need to have a speical foarm just for ...... nop I wont say it any one that has delt with them knows

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I have that stupid CNS gen b (Red air filter housing)(I also read that it’s called the speed carb???)
Nooo, it's not.

CNSv2 is just, well, CNS - version 2. Considered by many retailers to be an /ahem/ "upgrade".

NT is the company brand that is on the NT carbs. Speed is the company that makes an NT styled carb that has better performance than the adequate NT carbs. I hear CNS is alright/good/awesome (depending on who you talk to) and everyone agrees that CNSv2 is absolute dog wonkey.

Last edited:

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
Nooo, it's not.

CNSv2 is just, well, CNS - version 2. Considered by many retailers to be an /ahem/ "upgrade".

NT is the company brand that is on the NT carbs. Speed is the company that makes an NT styled carb that has better performance than the adequate NT carbs. I hear CNS is alright/good/awesome (depending on who you talk to) and everyone agrees that CNS is absolute dog wonkey.
I built my first bike kit on a cruiser frame that belonged to my dad. With that cns carb I wouldn't trust it a half mile so I rode in big circles around his shop. I didn't like the looks of it when I first put it on. The adjustment screws were glued, it didn't even come close to fitting on the manifold. With all the vent tubes running everywhere how you gonna keep dirt out of it? I just took a chance out of frustration to find a simple little carburetor like my weedwhacker has. I heard the nt carb was a better choice so it was worth 20 bucks to me to fix it.

It runs great now dad rides it everyday. I wouldn't be afraid of it for a twelve mile trip. I don't know about the bike I have doing that though I am concerned about the axle and bearings holding up. I want a better sealed bearing stronger back wheel. And lose that rag joint I have on the old one. I guess if you ride it like a fast bicycle and not a motorcycle it should be fine.

thunderbolts

Apr 23, 2011
Maine
Hay guy's and gal's
here is the fix for the CNS v2 carb, This is what I have done to solve the mind boggleing CNSv2 problems and we all have them. I took a NT, Took the CNS off, put on the old NT with a older throttle ass. and the 48cc sky hawk new from Kings " said thanks man that is just what I needed" Yup it solved the bogging and haveing to choke it, Come on run the choke? there go's your 100 miles to a gallon!!!!! "not". Any way put away your drill's, and dont worry about any air leak's around the intake and carb, These motors don't seem to mind it. " A little extra air, I guess that is ok?. But do make sure your intake to motor gaskit is good. You can try anything you want but for under $50.00 you can toss that CNSv2 use your throttle and cable from it on a NT, HEADAKE .......gone !!!!! I know not all of use have a NT just lyeing around to try, And I am sure you are sceptial about my finding's But if you have a kit that wont run right and it all leads to the carb wouldint it be the cats ass when you find that this does work? A very simple fix!!!!

Just thank Thunderbolts

The bike surgeon

OH I got Kings to agree to send me 2 NT's to try and make s.trkure that this will work

that guy on a bike

Mar 30, 2011
newmanstown, p.a.
I didn't trust my cns carb on any trip. Tryed to ride 4 miles to work, 4 different times and ended up pedaling the majority of the way every time. and that was when i had it running good. Broke the clamp to the intake and bought another cns like a dumb a**. could'nt get it to stay on so with a 7" hose clamp around the whole carb and motor i tryed it again but just would no run right. tryed everything with both carbs. thought it might be a junk motor. ordered a nt as a last ditch effort and now 4 miles to work is just a couple of drops in my tank and a **** of a good time. Don't even have gas splashing on my pants out of stupid hoses. and my bike even looks better with it. After losing $50 on a cns I'll pay atleast $20 to enjoy riding without the hassel

thunderbolts

Apr 23, 2011
Maine
Re: Engine bogging FIX!!!!

I just installed a new 66 CC sky hawk I took the CNSv2 and tossed it on the shelf, I installed in it's place a NT !!!! Here is the answer to the CNS shelf it and get a NT your problen will be solved.... Good luck your headake will be gone .wee.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
My CNSv2 continues to run great. I'm in the minority on this one but I think they can be made to work quite well. However, I will say that it was not a plug and play experience by any means. It took some doing to get right, but now it runs just fine. The clamp to manifold connection is the most problematic on these for sure.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A friend of mine ordered a Jet motor kit from gasbike and they sent him a 2011 Skyhawk!
Best of all, the CNS carb in it has a NEW EXTENDED RUBBER GASKET AND RUBBER SPACER to replace that plastic POS in the old ones.
He reports NO AIR LEAKS and it actually just bolted on and worked!