Completely Round Wheels?

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I have a Schwinn Cruiser from Wally World, and lifted it up (hooks on the ceiling of my garage) to adjust the gears.

I noticed that the back wheel isn't completely even, nor the frame. It bounces up and down ever so slightly. Nothing too crazy. If you look from behind it is straight, but it may just provide for a somewhat bumpy ride I think.

I have yet to put the engine on. Should I be worried?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I have a Schwinn Cruiser from Wally World, and lifted it up (hooks on the ceiling of my garage) to adjust the gears.

I noticed that the back wheel isn't completely even, nor the frame. It bounces up and down ever so slightly. Nothing too crazy. If you look from behind it is straight, but it may just provide for a somewhat bumpy ride I think.

I have yet to put the engine on. Should I be worried?
I bought a Cranbrook from WallyWorld, same issue. My front rim was 1/4" - 7/16" out of round, and my LBS trued it perfectly. Great job. $15.00 plus tax. I was pissed, brand new bicycle and I had to spend money to get it right.

I think you should true it for peace of mind.

:)

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Thanks for the tip man. I will check out the local shop and see how much it costs.

I only have to take the wheel, right?

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks for the tip man. I will check out the local shop and see how much it costs.

I only have to take the wheel, right?
Yes, wheelset only and leave tire and innertube on it.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can research wheel truing, watch youtube videos, and do it yourself.

(I tried early on, but I didnt see the results fast enough.)

You (and I) can do it; it just takes time to learn how and patience.

BTW, I watched the my LBS mechanic do it and it was done exactly like in the videos, about 10 minutes or so and done.

:)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure the out-of-roundess you're seeing is the rim and not just the tire. It's not uncommon to see a lumpy tire that makes it appear that you have a rim problem.
Tom