First project: Coil Wiring?

GoldenMotor.com

carchub

Sep 30, 2011
Portland
Hello!
I am another first-timer, and I need help understanding the directions I have for connecting the coil up. The directions say:
"...Wire Connections...Blue to Blue and Black To Black. Also..Tie Kill Switch to the Blue wire / earth. The white wire is generator and has a max output of .5A 7.5V. Anything that draws more current connected to the white wire will kill the motor."

So I hooked the blue from the coil to the blue on the motor, and the same for the black wires.
Both wires from the coil have two connections, as in two wires can connect to the single wire.
That leaves two spots open - but there are three wires left: One white wire from the motor, and a green wire with a yellow wire from the killswitch. The yellow one has an orange/red stripe.

So far my thoughts are the white wire goes into the second blue wire

carchub

Sep 30, 2011
Portland
Okay cool! The killswitch goes to the blue & black wires.

Thanks so much! Now I can finish the project this weekend!

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
This is how i wire my bikes up. It's much safer in terms of not killing your CDI from shorting out.

the toggle switch is marine grade, like the one here

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/product_10518.jpg

you can use almost any decent switch. just get it from your local electronics store and make sure it can handle 100v and 4 amps, which is much more than is needed, but i find the higher the volts/amps the more 'rugged' and better made the switch is.

my current switch can handle 32Amps @ 120v and 10Amps @ 277Vac

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How did you come up with the theory that a momentary switch will damage the other ignition components and a toggle will not? Either type simply connects the blue and black wires together. Also your advice about the switch ratings is incorrect. 32 amps?
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Just about every small engine on Earth, whether it be for a snowblower, trimmer, tiller, edger, powerwasher, lawnmower, chipper, shredder, blower, gocart, minibike, etc. uses some means of grounding the ignition, to shut down the engine, whether is is magneto-driven or solid state.
Even the old, old engines had a metal contact that would short out the top of the spark plug to ground.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rohmell speaks the truth.
In addition I strongly disagree with not having some means by which to electrically disable the engine. Relying on the choke or the clutch is unsafe. An easily reached thumb button will greatly improve your chances of getting stopped in an emergency.
I've read several accounts of a man's throttle sticking open here on this forum. Just imagine yourself coming to a busy intersection, the throttle is stuck open and you reaching down, fumbling to find the choke lever and squeezing brakes instead of a clutch lever and with an engine that is still trying to push you along at 20+ mph. Scary thought, huh?
Tom

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
Rohmell speaks the truth.
In addition I strongly disagree with not having some means by which to electrically disable the engine. Relying on the choke or the clutch is unsafe. An easily reached thumb button will greatly improve your chances of getting stopped in an emergency.
I've read several accounts of a man's throttle sticking open here on this forum. Just imagine yourself coming to a busy intersection, the throttle is stuck open and you reaching down, fumbling to find the choke lever and squeezing brakes instead of a clutch lever and with an engine that is still trying to push you along at 20+ mph. Scary thought, huh?
Tom
see my pic. I suggested a switch rather than a 'short' button to kill the engine.

I don't condone having no immediate way to stop the engine.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Only difference between a switch and a momentary button would be you dont have to hold the switch down until the motor stops spinning to kill it. Other than that they are both still grounding out the magneto to kill the spark, same deal really.