Finished another

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Actually my son Aaron has been working on this one since Christmas. Taking his time enjoying the build. Me mostly advice and coaching. Now that this one is done. I'm considering a 4 stroke build.

Attachments

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Hello Blue! good to hear from you. No Muffler which I know is frowned upon. I don't know how it will perform. 5 degrees in Bangor today. 2 ft snow roadside scary riding. I don't expect a test ride til mid April or later. We used electrical Romex shoved on the end of a stock (muffler cut off) bend and wrapped it all up with this real cheap. but a long wait for the slow boat from China.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014AA7NE6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I can get a 79cc 4 stroke @ tractor supply about 80 bucks. Maybe my swan song. I know I know--- I've said that before too.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Oh, yes.......I'd forgotten that you're in New England.

It just isn't riding weather up that way, is it?

One improvement that I'd really like to make to my bikes is a good exhaust that curves down under the BB and exits at the rear axle. But I don't want it to be so expensive that it's not worth it. Or so complex that it's not worthwhile.

During the winter I experimented a bit with electrical conduit. But I used up what I had on hand making some pretty amateurish bends. I can always get more and keep on practicing. But I got to wondering if it was worth the time I was putting into it.

Sometimes I think about just buying a 'poo pipe' from one of the vendors. One or two of them aren't really all that expensive. I suppose I ought to just bite the bullet, do it and find out if it's worth while.

But first I think I'll take a stock exhaust and simply extend the outlet back to the axle. That should be simpler and it should make the bike sound a bit better from the rider's point of view.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Nice looking bike, I've gone out a few times so far this year testing out my shifter kit and working out bugs. Also gotta take the reed out of one of my other bikes. Can't wait to start riding to work. Not sure if I can ride the shifter bike without getting stopped it goes 45+. Put a ton of work into it over the winter.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Hello cylon. thanks for compliments. yeah testing and running them in all apart of it. I too am anxious for good weather but to mention the cabin fever I suffer every year so depressing. Shift kit ehh. hmmm. I thought I might like to do one with a shift kit - honestly whatever i can do to keep'em simple works best for me. I will be anxious to see how your setup works. 45 + is wayy too fast for me anyway. I am acquiring bike parts for the 4 stroke kit now. I got a 26 sturmey Drum for the front already, got my fenders and tires, got the sprocket adapter and a 48 t alum sprocket, also the double kick stand.
I am in need of a triple tree fork, and 26" coaster brake rear. So far I have and need about $400 in new stuff ... NOT including the engine kit. I got 5 bikes kicking around 2 I'ld sell if you know of somebody interested. None the less--as soon as weather gets good we will Ride!!! Be Safe!

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Im really taken with your exhaust as well. Several possibilities spring to mind, but what you have done is just what i have pictured in my mind. If it works well, prepare for the most sincere form of flattery, imitation.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Always glad to help/inspire. Really too loud. I'll take the male end of a battery terminal cleaner and fasten it inside with a rivet hopeful it will diminish the snap crackle and pop a little-just a little would be good.

Last edited:

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
I don't care to much about noise. Local ordinance are fairly lax in that regard. I care about performance and not smelling of 2 stroke at the end of the journey. It looks right on. I hope it flies.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
This bike runs really well. I weigh in about 155lbs. Used engine w/ rebuilt top. Strong bottom, 40 t sprocket, cruises easy 25+. minor 4 stroking- I will sink the needle another clip position up after I run it awhile as is (mid position now). Trust me Wabash... after 15 or 20 min, if you not wearing a fullface helmet you will wish you had earplugs. I am on my way to work @ 5am. I don't want to agitate sleeping neighbors or ferrel dogs. Been riding five years now not a single prob. Best to low profile by muffling a bit. Consider other factors. At least where I'm at. As long as the motor exhausts behind you no 2 smoke smell to be concerned. Stock muffler can make you stinky depending your mix and type of oil.

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
This is my first motorbicycle. I have been building choppers and bobbers since my teens. From dirt to street conversions, and puny *** commuters, to knuckles, pans, vincents, BSA's, and triumphs. Not to mention, the legendary Norton. I sorta like loud. I do be careful of my neighbors. Plus, i am a huge fan of under the radar.

All that aside, im a small human heavier than you(about a 130 lbs gap.) I have a couple gearing options, but my goal is city traffic speeds, (30-40 mph), not stinking of exhaust, and of course, aesthetics. I have a specific idea of what my finished bike should do, look like, perform as, and behaviors i can tolerate. Of course i have expectations, but this platform is new to me, so i have no frame of reference.

Until i know, im just guessing and extrapolating. I gather information. Try stuff out. Try to make it look cool. Your exhaust looks cool.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Thanks Wabash - You're gonna love it. 30 or 40 is most certainly possible. As you know with your motor experience it's all about the power to weight ratio. My bike is very heavy triple tree fork Worksman 11g wheels rear / front drum. I run a 40 t sprocket will do 25 nicely on flat ground but labors a bit up some long hills. Where I live there are many. Does very well in traffic situations. Visit my albums for tricks and ideas. Here's me and my bike 8 down from the top.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=714&page=12

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Spiffy bike, but way wrong exhaust.
Im really taken with your exhaust as well. Several possibilities spring to mind, but what you have done is just what i have pictured in my mind. If it works well, prepare for the most sincere form of flattery, imitation.
That is a 4-stroke pipe as those engines have valves.

2-stroke engines have no valves and like some back pressure, better yet some timed big pressure like from an expansion chamber exhaust.

Having a free flow exhaust is just going let all that unburnt fuel flow right out into your pipe.

That will lead to a loss of performance, poor fuel mileage, and a pipe full of wasted fuel, which of course will drip out and leave a mess wherever you park it.

Just a heads up bud.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Spiffy bike, but way wrong exhaust.

That is a 4-stroke pipe as those engines have valves.

2-stroke engines have no valves and like some back pressure, better yet some timed big pressure like from an expansion chamber exhaust.

Having a free flow exhaust is just going let all that unburnt fuel flow right out into your pipe.

That will lead to a loss of performance, poor fuel mileage, and a pipe full of wasted fuel, which of course will drip out and leave a mess wherever you park it.

Just a heads up bud.
No that's a homemade pipe which would still be loud on a 4 stroke. I do much appreciate the info. Thanks KC

Last edited: