Performance CDI layout and schematic diagrams

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
What shall we do with all these cdi options.......?

Best wishes to all who are putting hard work into making things for our bike to improve the hobby and experience.

Map
.wee.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I would gladly like to become a tester! :)
I'm almost finished with my build and i really don't want to go back to the stock cdi after reading all these forum about building your own CDI.
I do think that i can buy parts and go buy the schematics but i have no electrical knowledge of resistance and ohms. I also do planning on buying a performance cdi but i want the best one that performs to my HT.
Anyway here's a pic of my build so far but i'm only 70% finished.
Hope you guys like it!xct2

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I would gladly like to become a tester! :)
I'm almost finished with my build and i really don't want to go back to the stock cdi after reading all these forum about building your own CDI.
I do think that i can buy parts and go buy the schematics but i have no electrical knowledge of resistance and ohms. I also do planning on buying a performance cdi but i want the best one that performs to my HT.
Anyway here's a pic of my build so far but i'm only 70% finished.
Hope you guys like it!xct2
Nice looking bike......!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks mapbike!
Can't wait to ride it.
Just wanted to say that I noticed you have the small banana expansion pipe on your bike, I have one of those on my first build and it does good now but that tiny little tube on the exit side sure did restrict flow on my engine so I took a hacksaw and sawed it off, and yes it will make it a bit louder but I gained about 3-4MPH top speed and better power going up the hills around here on it.

You may end up liking it just how it is and it may give you all the speed you want, but if not open that end up like I did and it will help, especially if you have that NT carb tuned good with the right main jet in it, I solder mine up and then redrill them with a #73 wire gauge drill bit and move the C-clip to the second from top position and then he NT carb is a nice running little carb on the china girls. If you'd like a good source on a cheap set of wire gauge bits below are some links I put in here and all you need is a small propane torch and some solid core solder and you can make the jet whatever size you need it to be to get the carb tuned just right, just always remember todo a plug check to make sure it doesn't burn white or gray and instead is a nice medium brown color, light gray means engine is lean and that will kill the engine after a short time.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/WB05.html (wire gauge bits)

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SHG3-840.html (pin vise for using bits)

Hope some of this info here is helpful.

Map .wee.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Thanks for info.
But yesterday i had a bad day. The banana pipe broke off where the exhaust started at the flange yesterday while riding home from work. Can't seem to find it. So i just put my stock pipe back, still powerful. But i'll just be saving up for a better expansion chamber (sbp) and possibly parts for a diy cdi or jag. Bummer

Last edited:

Martin1963

Jan 23, 2015
Phoenix
Hi my name is martin1963 and I am trying to build my own hi performance cdi circuit for my 66cc 2stroke engine I already bought the huffy Davidson hi performance ignition coil and I wanted to see the schematic from IvanH's post # 18 but having trouble accessing that post can anyone help please.dance1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hi my name is martin1963 and I am trying to build my own hi performance cdi circuit for my 66cc 2stroke engine I already bought the huffy Davidson hi performance ignition coil and I wanted to see the schematic from IvanH's post # 18 but having trouble accessing that post can anyone help please.dance1
Sorry... cant help but good luck in your endeavors.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, I have been away for quite some time sorry (legal issues). I just went to post #18 & the schematic & layout seem fine, at least, they showed on this phone screen, but if u cannot access them, PM me & I'll send u pics ok. Cheers

Last edited:

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
Hi, I have been away for quite some time sorry (legal issues). I just went to post #18 & the schematic & layout seem fine, at least, they showed on this phone screen, but if u cannot access them, PM me & I'll send u pics ok. Cheers
G'day there Ivan hope all is well and glad to here you are back with your great input you share on this forum
have you been testing much with your ride ,are you running a 2stroke still or 4 stroke

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Thanks hsvmick, I still have a 66cc 2 stroke (reeded, sbp shift kit, etc) but it hasn't been ridden in some time. I'll have to drag it out, pump the tires & get the cobwebs out of it. Thanks again. Cheers

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
It's not even close to mine guys. Totally different layout. That's one of the reasons it's in epoxy, forever set in stone. Sorry. And the "BOLT" is even more different.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Basically, they r all KDX CDI's. That's where Jag copied it from in the first place. Changing the layout or component values doesn't change the circuit design. Cheers

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I can say for sure that the HuffyDavidson CDI holds up well.....seems he uses very good quality components, honestly didnt make my bike faster but it has been very reliable and the key switch is nice.

I have also had just as good of luck with the stock units.

Not sure what all the other CDI units are like out there, some may be OK and some may not be so good, have one of the Rocket CDI units Ive had for a long while and it performed alright but I lost power and top speed when I ran it, The HD Lightening brought power and speed back to where it was, so I dont run the Rocket pill bottle unit anymore.

I dont care what someone has, runs or builds as long as its safe, but I do have a problem with flat out false or questionable claims and we've sure seen a pile of those on here.