How many are seriously interested in running at Bonneville

• 2 Stroke

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 4 Stroke

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I am not sure where to post this so moderators please feel free to move it if this is wrong. I would like to get a feel for how many people would be interested in running motorized bicycles for top speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats. If interest is strong enough I will talk to the sanctioning body about trying a few classes out. I was thinking stock jug China girl, case inducted 2 stroke and 4 stroke 50cc and under would be interesting to start with. If interested let's get a discussion going and pool ideas. Also I am in Tucson so thanks to all those that made these legal here.

Lee Wommer
520-808-5731

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Have you read the class rules for land speed records?

The sanctioning bodies at Bonneville have many race classes and probably no interest in adding a motorized bicycle class.
If you can make your bike pass the strict tech inspection in one of their land speed record classes and pay their entry fees you can run.
Rotating pedals would have to be removed and you would need speed rated tires just for starters.

Sportsman Flyer has run and set several records at Bonneville in the 175cc, 200cc and 250cc 4 stroke push rod classes.

Augiedog ran a 33 cc Golden Eagle belt drive quite a few years ago at Bonneville to go a rather embarrassing 31? mph.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sounds uber cool, Lee.

I had thought there were some sort of MB classes already? I really don't know but would be great to see it become a regular thing at the salt flats.

Lemme know if I can be of any help.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Agreed they have a pretty diverse set of classes already. The Idea was that it would still have to remain a functioning bicycle, or it just falls into the existing small displacement motorcycle classes. Human powered bicycles are already hitting 80 + mph every year at Battle Mountain in Utah, and that would be a place to consider also. From experience I would think approaching a sanctioning body with a field of 10 to 15 plus new entrants willing to pay the same entrance fee as everyone else and pass tech/safety gets interest from them real quick even if it is outside the box.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
kinda funny measuring it down that far, for pretty much 30 MPH. Was anyone else gunning for that record?

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I,m up for it for sure. Sportsman Flyer went & set that record & I was
reading all about that.I think that's as neat as it goes.I plan to attend
next year just cause I never have.

That,s something I have always wanted to attend.To run there would be
even cooler.
Fly

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
This post was to gauge interest. If enough people sound truly interested I'm sure the sanctioning body will talk to us about a trial for one year to see how it goes. I have helped run a few classes in motorsports over the years and could come up with rules, safety, and tech that I'm sure would make the sanctioning body happy and still be very reasonable. That's one of the beautiful things about these machines is the cost to run and prep is pretty reasonable. Keep the opinions coming good and bad and I will work to make it happen if you all want it too.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The SCTA is pretty adamant about not allowing motorized bicycles to run in their events. Also, motorcycles must run motorcycle engines and cars must run car engines. It's all in the rule book. BUBS may be an option. Good luck.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The SCTA is pretty adamant about not allowing motorized bicycles to run in their events. Also, motorcycles must run motorcycle engines and cars must run car engines. It's all in the rule book. BUBS may be an option. Good luck.
Pat, this sounds confusing and contradicts what you have achieved. How did you get to compete with a motorized bicycle (pedals or not) not running a motorcycle engine? Just curious.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat, this sounds confusing and contradicts what you have achieved. How did you get to compete with a motorized bicycle (pedals or not) not running a motorcycle engine? Just curious.
Hi Scotto,
It is confusing and I'll be the first to admit it. The runs down the salt were the easy part. I spent one year figuring out and meeting SCTA requirements, and the last two years defending earlier rulings. If I did it, others can do it, too.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Those Sportsman Flyers look incredible out on the salt. I would love to go just to see them run and I have never been to a motorsport event as a spectator. Those pics are definitely giving me encouragement to make it too Bonneville.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hi Scotto,
It is confusing and I'll be the first to admit it. The runs down the salt were the easy part. I spent one year figuring out and meeting SCTA requirements, and the last two years defending earlier rulings. If I did it, others can do it, too.
Thanks Pat, for the clarification, that's pretty much what I was thinkin'. Congrats on the records and keep it going! (^)

.wee.