Dual Sprung Chain Tensioners

GoldenMotor.com

BloodOfAnAkrobat

Apr 30, 2011
Chicago
has anyone ever used two sprung chain tensioners (real ones with teeth), one on the top of the chain and one on the bottom, to eliminate the poor design of the original ones that come with the kits. Having one on the top would keep the tension on the chain when you aren't giving it gas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your reasoning is wrong. There is no need to add tension to the top chain run. When the engine is driving the bike it will put tension on the top run. Where you need it is on the bottom chain run, only. Aligned and tensioned correctly there is no need to worry about top chain tension during deceleration/coasting.
Use the search feature, type in 'chain tensioner' and see what others have done/tried before. You'll have plenty to read so be prepared.
Tom

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I understand what he's saying about the top of the chain 'flopping' while engine braking... but so far there hasn't been any reported problems from only using a spring loaded tensioner on the bottom.

I've also thought about a dual spring tensioner; but I always go back to just building my bikes without any tensioner.

Last edited: