New bike! 1948 H Whizzer in a B-6 frame

GoldenMotor.com

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
My wife and kids asked if I wanted an early fathers day present. She said a couple of early motorbikes were for sale at an auction house near our home.

So went to go look with my son and we came home with a new bike . A restored 1948 whizzer H model in a Schwinn frame that has the original paint. Im pretty excited!!!dance1
There are some repop items on it, but hey it looks pretty good. I dont know much about Whizzers but the compression is good and the tank just has a faint odor of gas. The man selling the bikes was getting up in years and sold off some of his collection. He said he had them restored and never even started it them up. he took them along with his antique cars to shows.

I wanted to show you guys the bike But have posted the picture in the board tracker thread so it wouldnt let me post again. Learn some thing every day I guess. I will take another couple of pictires to share when its daylight out again.

Anyway The next step is to try and fire it up. Should I be checking valve clearance, Or is there any special things I should be aware of? I understand form the You tube videos , that you release the compression and clutch, pedal and pop the clutch to start.

Anything other advice for a Whizzer newbie? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
McBob

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks JB! Iwill change the oil and get some fuel with out ethanol in it.
I looked at your thread and followed your lead to get a manual on line. it comes friday. Snow here for the next week so i got time to wait... and wait... and wait.:-||

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
My wife and kids asked if I wanted an early fathers day present. She said a couple of early motorbikes were for sale at an auction house near our home.

So went to go look with my son and we came home with a new bike . A restored 1948 whizzer H model in a Schwinn frame that has the original paint. Im pretty excited!!!dance1
There are some repop items on it, but hey it looks pretty good. I dont know much about Whizzers but the compression is good and the tank just has a faint odor of gas. The man selling the bikes was getting up in years and sold off some of his collection. He said he had them restored and never even started it them up. he took them along with his antique cars to shows.

I wanted to show you guys the bike But have posted the picture in the board tracker thread so it wouldnt let me post again. Learn some thing every day I guess. I will take another couple of pictires to share when its daylight out again.

Anyway The next step is to try and fire it up. Should I be checking valve clearance, Or is there any special things I should be aware of? I understand form the You tube videos , that you release the compression and clutch, pedal and pop the clutch to start.

Anything other advice for a Whizzer newbie? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
McBob
Welcome to whizzer McBob, can you post pics? have you started it yet?
Please keep it under 40 mph for the first 2 mins, and keep a smile to a minimum.

Ray

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for the Welcome Ray. Spring is comin and I'll be smilin soon!

Thanks for the Whizzer contact info in Wisconsin, Jay. Im Going to be calling him soon.

Finally a nice day in Wisconsin! Here are some pictures.

The frame is a 1953. Cant figure out how to date the motor, but the serial numbers are in the middle of the run of numbers.

I recieved my owners manual on Friday and went to tension the belt. I discovered that the frame upper leg is slightly bent in (1/2") at the rear belt location causing the belt to rub on the frame. ( I guess I was dazzeled by how shiny it was!) The location is Just about where the sheve bisects the top brace of the cantilever on the left side. the lower left and right side look original. Looks like and old injury. No worries! I just have to remove the rear tire make a straightening jig and bend it back. I figure if I capture the upper and lower area of the top tube with a strait blocked out piece of iron, clamping together the welded upper area, I can use a clamp with a block on it to bring it back. I had to do the same operation on the front fork of my Norton years ago when I laid it down and bent the fork. Bend and look, Bend and Look.

Here I figured I could just ride it. Oh well.

I havent fired it up yet as I want to fix the frame and check the valve clearance first. I am working on it in the basement and figure once I gas it I will want to leave it outside. I read on some of the other Threads that the rod bearings and end play should be checked also.

So while it meterological spring is here, we still have snow coming. I got about a month to get it into shape.

Thanks again Guys for your help and encouragement.

Bob

Attachments

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
dont leave that outside! cars, motorcycles, snowblowers stay inside too! PM mason man, Ray will set you up on valve adjustment and checking end play. good guy. good luck dennis

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
That is one Righteous rider! i could stare at that all day. sounds like your well on your way.
I agree with Dennis, there needs to be a New Man Rule!
The Righteous One stays inside!.... Let me know when you start sleeping on the couch.

Dennis, it's good to hear from you.

Ray

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
That is one Righteous rider! i could stare at that all day. sounds like your well on your way.
I agree with Dennis, there needs to be a New Man Rule!
The Righteous One stays inside!.... Let me know when you start sleeping on the couch.

Dennis, it's good to hear from you.

Ray
Ray
I had to sleep on the couch the other day!

I read some where that the end play can be bad for these motors. Dennis and Jay said you know about such things. While Im waiting for spring I figured I'd check out the motor to see if its adjusted right. (and yes it'll be in the living room) ;-). What kind of things would you check before firing it up? the guy I bought it from said he never ran it.
Bob

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi Bob, sorry about the couch.
There really shouldn't be a problem so long as the end spacers are in place, one for the crank (#40) and one for the cam (#23)

A good service book like Whizzer Service Facts would be very helpful.
www.memorylane-classics.com should have them.
hope this helps.

Ray

Attachments

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks Ray.

Well a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. I will survive the couch.
Theres a positive side to everything; the couch is in the living room.

The memory lane classics site is a great site!

Im gonna call memory lane classics and get a service facts book.
Bob

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Lucky guy! That's a fine looking ride. I never had one, but spent a lot of time as a boy staring at the ads in the back of Boy's Life and Popular Mechanics. You've got yourself a dream machine.
SB

j3000

Jan 5, 2012
Michigan
I whant one, "Honey!!! Daddy needs a new toy." I wonder what kind of looks I will get for this from my wife.

Last edited:

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Finally stopped raining around here and I took the bike out for a test. It fired right up. and i took a ride. was a lot of fun untill the head gasket blew also threw a small chunk out of the cylinder head. Im going to take it apart to see whats what. looks like its hollow backn there. Yikes!
:-||

Attachments