Restoring 49 Whizzer 20" Sportsman

GoldenMotor.com

JTFord

Dec 25, 2012
Locust Grove Va
I'm just starting a restore of a 20" Whizzer Sportsman . I know these were orginally painted a maroon color that I would like to match. Does anyone know what color match this may be? Also the pictures I have seen show tan striping I need this color as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Not sure what the maroon?? would be but a good match for the striping is sign painters 1-shot brand #116-L ivory. Its a lettering enamel you can get in a 1/4 pint size. Easily put on with one of those roller type striping tools, unless your good with a brush. I did my Sportsman in Fleet Red acrylic enamel which was a good match to the original red used back then.
Geo.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Welcome to the Forum JTFord.
What color is your sportsman now? does your bike have drum brakes front and back?
does your your vin# have 4 or 5 digits.
Geo's sportsman restoration came out very nice, you should see some of his before and after pics.

Ray

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
The 49 Sportsman has Schwinn 3 1/2" front and rear brakes. around 200 Sportsman made.
In 1950 the 5" rear brake was introduced.
Bob Baker had about 4000+ Sportsman made using the 300s motor and 876+ Sportsman using the 600s motor.

Ray

motonut

May 13, 2013
USA - Ohio
I posted this question earlier but had one response which suggested I post it in this forum. New to the site and this will be my "first build". I'm looking for an "Engine Kit" that resembles the old school "Whizzer" motorbike systems, that is "belt driven". All of the kits I have seen available are "chain driven". Is there a "belt driven" engine kit on the market. Many thanks, hope I get some replies

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
My best guess would be to find a whizzer on the bay or craigslist. then you can have all the parts that you'll need to start your project the way you'd like it to be.
sell what you don't want or need.
keep us posted to what you find. best of luck!

Ray

motonut

May 13, 2013
USA - Ohio
I agree but they are somewhat difficult to find....and when they do appear they are asking for and often bringing some pretty good money. I've seen the "newer" ones which were re-introduced to the market some time back (late 1990 into 2000) and they are good looking. With the price of the "Whizzer" drive system (currently on eBay) being nearly $800.00 I'd be better off finding and buying one of the newer "Whizzer" models on the market. I'll remain looking and thanks for all the comments.