rear wheel for shifter kit?????

GoldenMotor.com

fmxr47

Jun 27, 2011
seville ohio
hey guys, ordered a shifter kit and now i need to either find a internally geared wheel with a drum or disc mounts that will fit on a 64 schwinn, please lead me in the right direction, i've been researching different hubs and dont know which way i want to go, my thoughts were to adapt my avid juicy 5s on some home made mount for the rear, and get the forks with the brake tabs already on them for the front, i have a front disc wheel as an extra for my mtb's.

please help as my current rear wheel was eaten by the chain tensioner, no more spokes... :'(

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I use internal hub because chain doesn't move when shifting like derailleur setups. You can also use wider HD chains like 41 or 415.

I use Sturmey X-RD3 right now, but I wish I bought an XL-RD5 instead. Problem is, it's like $110 more lol. My hub is doing well tho.
25+MPH, the 70mm Sturmey drum is kinda weak IMO. Anyway, Nuvinci, disc, and careful shifting looks like the bee's knees.

fmxr47

Jun 27, 2011
seville ohio
what are the possibilities of a derailleur on a schwinn american and making a 135 spacing mtb wheel fit? i have a wheel if that would work.....

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
what are the possibilities of a derailleur on a schwinn american and making a 135 spacing mtb wheel fit? i have a wheel if that would work.....
I have a 5/7 speed wheel on a 50's Monark.Just had to get a derailuer hanger and change the spacing on the axle.If you go this route I would get a chromoly axle..standard axles usually bend.Check 26" x 2.125" Steel Free Wheel 105g Chrome Cruiser Bike | eBay or you might find it cheaper.