start at low idle?

GoldenMotor.com

mark skywalker

Aug 21, 2009
hollywood
Hey there! Got my bike all built and running and stuff finally, just trying to figure out how to keep it at a lower idle. It's only taking off from a stop at real high idle, but when i adjust choke to idle lower, I let the clutch out real slow but it won't take off at that level.

any ideas about that?

thanks!

(it's the 66 cc 2 stroke engine)

Last edited:

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb. It the only screw there and it has a spring on it. Unscrew to lower idle and screw in to raise it. As a rule of thumb, I think 3.5-4 rotations from totally screwed in is about good. Tighten it in and then back off. Not too much or the screw will vibrate its way out.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Your choke lever should always be "down" after the engine is warmed up...

Also, you need to still pedal the bike when you start from a dead stop. (don't just take off using only the clutch!)

One more thing... if the idle is too high, & you're having trouble bringing it down?, make sure there are no air leaks @ the carb.

Last edited:

mark skywalker

Aug 21, 2009
hollywood
ok awesome! I wasn't even sure about the pedalling situation, but that's good to know. Just gotta figure out how to widen the pedals now to clear the engine and should be good to go.

Snogcel

Aug 31, 2009
Westminster, CO
Hello!
I had that problem - my crank was colliding with the engine case. It was close enough, though, that I could simply grind some metal off the engine-facing-side of each pedal crank, until enough clearance was made for smooth pedalling. I didn't even need to remove the crank from the bicycle (an old Schwinn "Touring" bike.)

Good luck!