Time to get parts and robot to rescue

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Seriously?!?! They think it'll be cheaper to build a robot worker than it would be to pay a knowledgeable human employee a corresponding wage to help customers and to sell them stuff?
Boy am I glad I work in an old court building. Since we are required to live within the county to work there, I don't have to worry about my job being sent overseas. And since the place is full of stuffy old lawyers and stuffy old clerks and shelves and shelves of dusty files, and some courtrooms still keep typewriters ready to go, in case the computers crash, I feel I needn't worry about being replaced by a robot any time soon either. We only just recently got rid of an old mainframe program called J.U.S.T.I.S. which was a DOS program from the '80s, and now run a Windows-based case management program. I will be a long time retired before a robot ever works in that building. Government stuff changes very slowly.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You know, giving credit where credit is due, I suppose I can't blame Lowes for seeing the upside: robots don't take breaks or lunches, don't slack off, don't steal, don't show up late or get sick or need vacations, don't strike or picket, don't run into things with the forklift, don't say they don't know where something is when they're trying to go home, and so forth.
I guess there are some downsides to hiring living people. And this may be what companies are willing to do to avoid doing so. Kinda scary to me still. What if the robot really is cheaper?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Well if you look it is I guess Silicon Valley or Carbon Nano Tube Valley. Google cars with some one behind the wheel but not steering or using gas or brake. They accelerate and merge on to the highway too.

Strange days are here?

MT