Newer Whizzer rear Wheel Suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
My Whizzer is a "99. Today the rear wheel gave up the ghost (The hub came apart). I will get pics tomorrow.

I would like some suggestions from the more knowledgeable crowd as to a suitable replacement. I have heard the sheath on the newer bikes is unique to itself, I do not know if I am correct on this or not. I am thinking maybe Worksman rear wheel and a vintage sheath. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
kinda curious what happened to your hub.....I think you can just put that sheave on a worksman though...36 spoke

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
kinda curious what happened to your hub.....I think you can just put that sheave on a worksman though...36 spoke
Well... it snapped the brake lever, it bent the axle which slightly bent a rear drop out and a bearing exited the hub.

All of our cameras are dead ATM.I will post pics tomorrow after a recharge.

I am pretty sure the guy that runs the local bike shop has everything I need to rebuild the hub. I would just prefer spending the $$ now for the best alternative. That is an area I want the best parts I can get underneath me.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Order up a workman with a rear drum brake. Im pretty sure the sheave will bolt right up, depending on the type of attachment system you may have to file the spoke grooves a bit if you have them to fit the larger spokes.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The sheave will not bolt right up with a drum hub. The newer Whizzer has a small diameter flange at the hub, while the drum is a large flange. Because the flange diameter is different, the spacing between the spokes where the sheave bolts up is also different. Enough so the that holes don't line up. The reason I know is because I tried.

The early Whizzers had an optional drum rear. Those too had large flanges, but they made a unique offset shim so the sheave would work. But early/late sheaves are not the same.

So you either redrill the sheave, or pick a nice small flange hub. A good coaster is probably better than the crappy band clamp that my newer whizzer runs.