weather is my enemy

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have finally found the time to make some nimh batteries for my bike. I have been fooling with them for a while and finally got a chance to sit down and put together a couple of high amp batteries to test them. The cold weather made that possible since I can't do much of anything else...

Then guess what, I can't test them because the weather is so cold here right now. I have a rule I will not ride my bike when the temperature is less than 35 and it just hasn't make it above that the last few days. So I guess I will just keep waiting for it to happen.

I did buy some more batteries since I'm not quite finished with the pack. I do hope I get to test what I have done before the new ones arrive. I feel like I'm working blind without testing.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Wow! 35* in the beginning of December! Man, I got to move south where the heat is!

Just kidding.....I know what it's like when the weather isn't running according to the norm. Be thankful though, we are only seeing single digits during the day and it's not even January yet!

.sno.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
We have hit 18 overnight low and like 28 for the high. As I said I will ride at 35 and haven't had a day like that all week. I think it might hit that today long enough for me to run a mile and measure the voltage drop in the batteries. That's all I really want to know. well that and how fast it will push my fat butt.

It is also supposed to snow later today so I will probably push the weather a little since I plan to ride in the hood for only one half mile out and the half back. That should give me a good indication of what it's doing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It got up to freezing so I took the bike out. The test just proved one thing to me, don't do tests in weather like this. three batteries left the shop pretty close in charge and came back way different. I expect the weather treated each of them differently. All it all I shudda slud as dizzy dean used to say.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
not only is cold miserable and dangerous to humans, it also batteries drain faster it seems. Maybe that's why they run down so fast in the middle of the night when the car doesn't want to start right away.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
They really don't run down fast in the cold- they start out down on power because of it. Forget electric cars unless you are in California or the deep south.