Imagine:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Imagine me gettin' sentimental. Well, it happens. Kinda like this:
On this day, 30 years ago, one of the most famous advocates for world peace was slain by the bullet of an assassin. But, so powerful were his messages that they shall live ever after, and his name with them. John Winston Ono Lennon, I am a fan and I know I am not alone. I remember you.

Does anybody else here (old enough) remember where they were when they heard the news?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I was living in this dive motel, but in Sunset Beach CA, and I was working at Island Cycles Bike Shop in Long Beach.

My room is best compared to that of Elwood Blues- it was about 10 feet square, and right over a stoplight on A1A coast highway, where cars would stop all night with their sound systems shaking the place- I shared a batroom down the hall, but there was a sink inthe room I could cheat a pee into at night. I slept quite a bit on the beach illegally that fall and winter, because it was better sleep, and it was quite cold by this time of year.

I was flipping around the TV dial and heard the announcement on Monday Night Football-
really shocking-

The Beatles first appeared on Ed sullivan three days after my tenth birthday in 1964. I have a sister five years older, so we just happened to be watching. I recall my class of third graders all talking it about it the next day- just a couple months earlier I was on the school bus to go home when I heard that President Kennedy had been shot.

and I was 26 then in 1980. we closed the store for five minutes to observe the nationwide moment of silence.

been posting links today on imdb the International movie data base to Lennon songs:
this gets you there:
IMDb :: Boards :: Politics :: Favorite John Lennon song?
I am harpon.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
In a motel room in Topeka Kansas during my move from Miami Florida to Denver Colorado. Didn't know what was going on until I had settled in for the night. I didn't sleep much; watched the TV coverage for hours...and remembered how he and the rest of the band had impacted my life. Sad ending to a cold and snowy day.
Tom

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I was in Fontana, Calli, awaiting a load east, and liked the man's music, but never was wild about the Beatles. Just my choice in music.
Made me real angry such talent was lost to such a sick carbon based life form. (c)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
As I got older I came realize he was kind of a commie.
Not a commie, just a man that wanted peace and love between all people. It is a lofty goal that will never happen.

Rolling Stone Mag. asked the Beatles to come out with a statement in support of, basically everything. Their answer was "Revolution". One line from that song is: You say you want a revolution, don't you know that you can count me out. That is close maybe not 100%.

Terry

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
As I got older I came realize he was kind of a commie.
Not a commie, just a man that wanted peace and love between all people. It is a lofty goal that will never happen.

Terry
I'm unconvinced. Consider his buddy Paul. He's a big supporter of our president, another not so secret commie.

Commies always have lofty goals that will never happen.

:ride:.girl.:crash:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I see. You are one of those people. Okay. Nothing will change your warped points of view so instead of arguing I won't say anything else. But, I will read your comments back to this post. Have a good day! :)

Terry

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
This is kind of going sideways with this thread but here goes .
In our small town we kids felt the urge to first listen to more rock and roll ,let our hair grow , and follow fewer school rules . All this due to the British Invasion . We were about 3 or 4 years behind the bigger cities . Boy did we get some strange looks from the farmers around here . I was not a big fan of Lennon or the Beatles . My older sister sure was . She had dolls, magazines, and records in her Beatles collection . And when they appeared on TV she would scream , just like their other fans . I was a Stones fan . But long after my sister was killed in 1994, in an industrial accident , I slowly began to enjoy hearing their songs and thinking about her joy every time they were singing on the radio .

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
that is the lasting forever part,,,
when we hear the songs, we get taken back in time to when they were all over the radio

John is my favorite Beatle,,,his songs make you think :)

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I was 13 years old, living in Alhambra Ca, and riding a moped (figures).

I came home and my ex-hippy turned yuppie parents were sitting in the living room crying. I thought that someone had died....oh, wait.

I miss my Mom & Dad, goofy & wierd as they were.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
im twenty and jamm to oldies man ccr, the doors, beatles, turtles, temptations and even the beegees, all sorts of stuff really there are so many more songs i love but honestly i dont even know who the artist are

it is however intersting to note the change in the beatles song style they went from she loves you yeah yeah yeah and i wanna hold your hand to some trippy stuff like yellow submarin im certain this transformation was induced by drugs affect on the mind

now days are music hold no real meaning sure it has nice sounding beats and catchy phrases but its disingenuous lacking real substince there are few artist that i enjoy but most of the crap that hits the shelves is just sad

red baron

Dec 3, 2010
California
Where were you when Kennedy got shot and my generation has where were you when Lennon got shot. I was a musician in high school with a punk band and worshipped the Beatles. It seems rock and roll died on the day we got J L's news.

"When the going gets weird,the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson

Hec_The_Wreck

Apr 4, 2010
Hollywood,FL
I remember waking up to my radio clock and the dj was talking in a very emotional tone and I knew that something bad had happened and at the end of his speech he said Lennon was shot to death late that night.
Me growing up listening to The Beatles music I was in shock for the rest of the day.