Exhaust Restrictors at 200 watts, anybody know about these?

GoldenMotor.com

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
Greetings Peoples,

I came across a motorised bicycle on ebay, it was an 80cc motor with an exhaust restrictor inside the exhaust pipe. This was supposed to make the bike run at 200 watts power output. But I think turning an 80cc 2 stroke engine from over 1300 watts to 200 watts would be a lot of restriction for such a large motor. Does anyone use the exhaust restrictor. In Australia the law says we gotta use 200 watt motors on the streets. So knowing how to do this would be necessary for Australians.

.xx.(p)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if you choked down the 80cc, which is really 66cc, from it's rated 1.7hp to 1/4hp to make it 200 watts, it would probably foul spark plugs like crazy and clog the exhaust. i doubt if it would run very well like that. it seems that down under the law is ment to keep gas bikes off the road, since a 1/4 hp gas bike would be to under powered to work. if i lived there i would build a 1000 watt electric hub bike and then lie about the power out put.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
May as well get a 200W electric motor then, you'd get alot more speed out of it than the gas equivalent.

buzzkill

Aug 22, 2009
atlanta, ga
I still can't beleive that they restict them so much to begin with, it seems to be getting just as bad over here in the good old USA as well, the land of the free, yeah right. All this carp about going green and fuel efficent vehicles is a bunch of bull, our economy is destroyed and some people find a nice efficent form of transportation thats better for the enviroment and the wallet and they won't let you use it, Why? because they can't make any money off of it, thats why, no registration fees, less gas so less tax money. All the things they say they wanna change I would think they would be promoting the use of MB as a great form of transportation, I just don't get it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I suppose if you put a washer with a 6mm hole (or so) in the center of it in between the carburetor and intake manifold that would certainly reduce the overall power. It would not cause fouling of the sparkplug either.
Just be absolutely certain that it fits nice and snug inside the carburetor's spigot mount so it can never, ever get sucked inside the engine. It has to have the same outside diameter as the manifold's outside diameter.
A bit of silicone to make it all air tight and you should be set.
Whoo hoo! 3KPH top speed!
I really hope, for all of you folks down there that enjoy these awesome little bikes, that the law makers will sprout a brain cell soon and get reasonable with the crazy laws you have to put up with.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
These numbers are probably a bit optimistic, but most 200W e-bike kits are advertised as having top speeds of somewhere between 25-32 km/h. I think 200W is a bit low ('round here it's 500W), but I can't say I blame them for not wanting everyone and their grandma tooling around on bikes at warp speed.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
That's why there should just be a speed limit on them, period. If I had a 66cc engine then I would gear it down to top out at the speed limit, then I would still have better hill climbing ability. In Missouri (where I live) speed is part of the law- less than 50cc, less than 3 HP, and no faster than 30mph. My 48cc won't quite do 30, but that's fine with me. ;)