Question for someone at SBP

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
So my head gasket blew today. Pretty intense, it is literally blown out! I'll post up pics... But anyway, I need a new head gasket.
So while I was looking around on the SBP website I figured since they are cheap I may as well add a new plug or 2 to my order. And of course a plug cap because the stock one won't work on one of those upgraded plugs.
So I have 2 questions:
1. I have heard one of the plugs is recommended for adding a bit of compression with the slant head? Which one should I get?
2. Is the "High Performance Plug Wire" the correct one for using one of the upgraded plugs?

As soon as I get my answers I'll go order though the site. Bummed my gasket blew and can't wait to get it back up and running ASAP!

Thanks for your help!

Oh, and while I'm asking questions from you guys, I have a question about the shifter kit.
This winter when I take the bike off the road due to multiple feet of snow... I'm thinking about getting a shifter kit. but my concern is that my rear mounting studs aren't in the stock locations. I had to drill new holes. Long story. Anyway, will that be a problem having the studs in a lower location? Would I just have to drill different holes in the kit or something?

Thanks again

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I think I had them at 20 ft-lbs. The issue was that it is the original gasket, I didn't get a new one when I switched to the slant head. Taboo, I know I know, always use a new head gasket. Metal gaskets that compress like that can't be re-used. blah blah. So I knew I had it coming. Anyway... I need answers to above before I order the gasket (well, the are so cheap I'll probably get a few head gaskets). I may as well get some other goodies. I'm due for a new plug anyway.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Actually you can re use them if you anneal them first. Hang it from a wire and heat it up really hot with a propane torch and let it cool down before you use it again. You can also just set them on an electric stove burner and heat them that way too, just don't melt it.
I have done it many, many times when I worked on my Hodaka. I never blew a head gasket either.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Not sure why you would need to add a bit of compression to the slant head, but the NGK BP are the extended tip plugs. I recommend the BP6HS with the slant head. BP5 is a bit hot for that head.

Our plug wire will work with any modern plug.

How far are your holes shifted? As long as they are the standard width, you should be OK - Honestly - it sounds like at worst you can drill new holes in the rear mounting plate. Go to our downloads page and take a peak at the install manual:

Sick Bike Parts

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Not sure why you would need to add a bit of compression to the slant head, but the NGK BP are the extended tip plugs. I recommend the BP6HS with the slant head. BP5 is a bit hot for that head.

Our plug wire will work with any modern plug.

How far are your holes shifted? As long as they are the standard width, you should be OK - Honestly - it sounds like at worst you can drill new holes in the rear mounting plate. Go to our downloads page and take a peak at the install manual:

Sick Bike Parts

Thanks for the response. The holes are the same width, just a few mm below the original holes. I figured it wouldn't be a problem drilling new holes in the mounting plate, or something. I'm pretty mechanically inclined.
I'll go order my parts ASAP, my car is broken right now (clutch cable broke...). So I'll probably get the parts on the same day. LOL. Stuck pedaling my mountain bike around for now...

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Actually you can re use them if you anneal them first. Hang it from a wire and heat it up really hot with a propane torch and let it cool down before you use it again. You can also just set them on an electric stove burner and heat them that way too, just don't melt it.
I have done it many, many times when I worked on my Hodaka. I never blew a head gasket either.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip!
It's a bit to late now... but next time!

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
The TRICK to annealing aluminium is you smear some soap on it, and when tha soap has burned black - that's enough .... if you're in a hurry quench it, it don't matter... when the soap's gone black the piece will be annealed.