Peg cylinder for clutch will not spin

GoldenMotor.com

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
I am having a clutch problem and would greatly appreciate any advice on how to fix it. My clutch is frozen. I have dismantled it and taken the plate and wing nut off exposing the break pads and the three pegs. The circular chamber the pegs rest upon will not spin. (The help video suggested tapping the pegs with a hammer but I could use a sledge hammer without them moving an inch.) I was going to squirt some light oil around the chamber the pegs are on hoping to loosen the chamber to spin. I eagerly await any advice. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
The cylinder with the pegs turns with the turning of the wheel. The chain on the sprocket turns with the wheel and with the turning of the wheel the cylinder with the pegs moves. But I can not turn the pegs with my hand, and tapping the pegs with a hammer to loosen them to spin does nothing but turn the thing millimeters. It is like the thing is frozen in gear.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
wing nut = star nut

Those pegs SHOULD rotate with the wheel. What about the crank? Are you suggesting that the engine is turning over with the clutch-plate removed?

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
Yes Star Nut, Flower Nut.
Yes the wheel turns and the pegs rotate BUT I cannot turn the pegs with my hand when the face pate and flower nut are off. So I can ride the bike with the clutch disengaged and engine not running, which i can't do. The engine has never turned over. Had not had gas in it yet, I'm trying to fix the pegs so they spin when the clutch is disengaged and the rear wheel spins freely. Please forgive what is the crank?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So lemme get this straight in my mind...
With your clutch all taken apart, you can still make the engine crank over by rotating the rear wheel?

Now we get into the crash course in China girl transmissions...
BTW, the "crank" is the crankshaft. The big lump of carefully machined metal that converts the piston's up and down movement into rotating movement; which in turn rotates the small pinion gear attached to it's right end; of which it's gear teeth are meshed to the clutch's ring gear. This causes the clutch ring gear to rotate. The drive forces are transferred to the clutch friction pucks. When the clutch is working correctly the friction pucks transfer the energy to the clutch's outer pressure plate. If you notice, the outer pressure plate is mechanically locked to what you call the "circular chamber" by the three pins sticking out of it. The "circular chamber" is actually called the clutch hub. The clutch hub is attached to the transmission shaft. This shaft passes straight through the engine cases to the left side with no gears or anything of the sort being inside the cases. It is just a hollow shaft. One end of this shaft has the clutch hub attached to it. The other end has the drive sprocket attached to it.

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
Yes, the rotating wheel makes the chain and sprocket on the left to turn, and the clutch hub turns with the turning sprocket in unison. I can't get the clutch hub to turn any other way. The thing won't move when I try to turn it with my fingers. Hope that makes sense? I am so very grateful for the help!

Last edited:

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
Can I spray some lite oil around the clutch hub to try and loosen it so it will turn with my fingers? (I tried tapping it with a hammer but I will either hammer off one of those pegs from hitting it to move; the clutch hub. If I keep hammering it thr clutch hub will move only millimeters, I think the rear wheel turned those few millimeters in unison with the tapping with the hammer. ) Thank you greatly!

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm really struggling here figuring out what you're trying to do. Is it the case that you think you should be able to spin the rear wheel by turning the center of the clutch? That would be hard to do and I can think of no reason that anyone would want to do that. The rear wheel turns that part of the clutch, while the engine turns the outer parts - there is no reason to turn either part by hand.

Sounds like all is working properly, and you just need to put it back together, adjust it, and ride it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've read this several times and I'll conclude that the problem is a clutch cable that isn't adjusted properly. Now we have a disassembled right side, flower nut out of adjustment and a builder who doesn't have a good grasp of how the clutch is supposed to work.

My suggestion would be to start by, as crassius said, put everything back together and read this thread/tutorial > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

I don't believe there's anything wrong with engine or clutch. It just needs to be set up correctly. If he doesn't hammer on it anymore.

Tom

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
I can't help but chuckle reading, "If he doesn't hammer on it any more."
You were correct; it was a clutch adjustment issue which I have rectified. I was not disengaging the clutch when adjusting the Flower nut. After I tied the clutch lever to the handle bar, and then preformed the steps, I was successful. Thanks for everyone's attention, and helping advice.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're glad for you, Sheamus. Let us know if we can be of help with any other problems you might encounter.
Have fun and please, ride safe.

Tom

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
I had the bike out today and the motor turned over for the first time. I rode slowly around the building parking lot. The throttle was working and when I turned it I could hear and feel the motor rev up. Then the motor died. The brass nut holding the clutch cable had slipped. When I tightened the brass clutch cable nut I tried to turn the motor over again but it wouldn't turn over. It was like when I would release the clutch the motor would try to turn over and I would turn the throttle to give it some gas but without any effect. So each time I tried to turn over the motor it seemed like it wasn't getting gas when I turned the throttle. The lever for the gas was open and the choke was up and on. (When I thought it was a problem the the throttle not giving the carb gas I took the filter off and had a look at the barrel moving up and down when I would turn the throttle so it's working.) The gas line coming from the gas tank to the carb is full of gas too, so the gas is flowing to the carb. - I assume. So I tried again to turn over the motor but with no success; again it seemed like the thing wasn't getting gas, but like I mentioned the line leading out of the gas tank is full of gas and the barrel is riding right in the carb. But when I turn the throttle there is no response and the motor doesn't turn over. Any ideas?
I must say it was a delight when the motor started and I was riding around the parking lot before the motor stopped running.

Last edited:

PureSheamus

Nov 24, 2013
NL
Yes I did read through it and I've gone through again with much more detail. My multi-meter readings are aprox. to those listed.
I had it out today. The engine would turn over and when I gave it gas it would buck like a pony then go a small distance, and there was no power/tork, the engine would shut off after a few seconds to a minute with me full throttle, and the engine would keep going if i was going down hill or peddling. I took the carb. barrel out and lined the thing up it slides up and down and that little pin on the side is lined up,( I don't think it was lined up.) so I need to take it outside and check if its running. If not, should I take off the float bowl and have a look?
Thank you so very much for your kindness and advice I am very grateful.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have a look in the float bowl. There have been many reports of the main jet loosening and falling out. That would prevent the engine from running. Watch that the pin the float swivels on is properly in place before reinstalling the blow.

How fast are you going before releasing the clutch? 8 to 10mph is recommended and then you need to disengage the clutch (squeeze the lever) if your speed drops below 10mph. The engine will buck and sputter if you try to go too slow with the clutch engaged. It is not an automatic transmission.

Tom