GoldenMotor.com

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
hey all

remember the blue greyhound engines?
79cc ohv horizontal shaft

then the black preddy came out 99cc and they got rid of the greyhounds

i work at a RI harborfreight we just got a new 79cc predator engine in stock. its not on the website yet

just a heads up for people who like the cheap 4-strokes!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Other than the bore and stroke, the engines have identical specs - interesting.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thanks for the heads up!
I will be really happy when I can buy one in Kaliforgnia.
I plan on building a 99cc in the relatively near future, but the biggest hurdle is getting the engine in the first place.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The 79cc Greyhounds were sold in California and the 99cc Predators are also sold in Cali (attatched to a waterpump). It's only a short drive to Arizona to pick up a 99cc Pred. from SD or LA. And it is rather interesting that the specs are the same for both the 79cc and 99cc Predators........gee, which would I rather have?

Take a wild guess? :D

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Last time I saw the 99 in a Harbor Freight store was when I bought my 79 *last April lol

I was at Harbor Freight today and saw the 212 on sale for $99..Was really tempted to buy it, but I have no bike to put it in and I'd prolly get kicked out of my own club!

rotfl

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I posted info. on the 79cc several weeks ago and it is not a California engine. No more 212cc engine for California.

Type in 99cc in the search bar. Its now on sale for $89.00 and available only in non California stores.

Chris

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I posted info. on the 79cc several weeks ago and it is not a California engine. No more 212cc engine for California.

Type in 99cc in the search bar. Its now on sale for $89.00 and available only in non California stores.

Chris
What the heck? I JUST typed in 99cc at harborfreight.com and it returned "Sale $119.99"????

But the 212 is on sale for $99.99

So the inference here is that the 99cc is going to disappear? Seems like alot of you guys have said that size engine is just about the right balance between weight/size and HP.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
wow lots of interest in this thread!

i had 2 days off from work and when i got back i had to double take a second at the box. i had no idea the 99 was being phased out, i figured it was going to stay a while. but i guess not

the 20% coupon will work on the sale price, wich will cover the 2 year extended warranty. covers everything down to the pull start rope snaping bring it back and swap it for a new one.

thanks for reading everyone!

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Not so much for us as motorized bicycle people, but the public at large is going to be buying a lot more of the 212cc engines than anything else. $99.99 for 6.5hp vs. $109.99 for 2.5hp.....if it fits where you want to put, it's an easy choice.

I've got a little bit of cash for another engine and I just might scoop up a spare 99cc, or the 70s era self-propelled reel mower with a nice little Briggs F-head horizontal shaft I found on my local CL.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
The photo of the new 79cc Predator (on the cover of the owners manual-not yet on the webpage) looks identical to the old blue Greyhound 79cc.

One difference I see is that the owners manual for the Predator says you can use 87 octane gas; I think the Greyhound specifies 89 octane?