Potential-speed calculator

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I work in a software development house, and I developed a application to enter numbers and get an approximation of speeds using a IGH as a jack shaft. This is specific for IGH jack shafts ONLY, that are driven by the engine and then drive the wheel. No intermediate gearing is considered. I made this because it really helps to see the graph and there are so many sprocket options to configure that I needed this.

There are several vertical sliders and an output graph to show gear overlaps at specific RPMs.

starting from left to right...
  1. Rear wheel sprocket tooth count
  2. Rear wheel size in inches
  3. IGH sprocket that drives rear wheel, tooth count.
  4. IGH sprocket that is driven by the engine, tooth count.
  5. Tooth count of engine output sprocket.
  6. Ratio of crankshaft to output sprocket. 5 to 1, 7 to 1..etc
  7. Engine RPM, sliding this shows road speed.
  8. Selector for gears, 1st 2nd, 3rd. Changes road speed calculation.
  9. Button to 'start' simulation of standstill to full speed.
  10. selector for tranny type, .75/1.0/1.25 or .66/1.0/1.33

http://74.217.67.51:5080/scooter.html

Have fun!

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Hey bowljoman,

I like creating apps for personal use, too. I don't see me needing something like this anytime soon - no chain drives or geared-hub jackshaft projects in the pipeline - but I did want to check out the interface and stuff.

But I have an old system with old version of flash (and dial-up connection) so the page wouldn't load for me. I would like to see what it looks like; especially the graph.

Any chance of you posting a screenshot? Just for practice, I might want to try an all HTML/javascript version of your program, if you don't mind.

Anyway, keep em coming.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
this is awesome!
I could list off all the features I think it could use (options for fixed gear, adding and removing sprockets to math out a complex jackshaft, custom gear ratios for the three speed, support for different transmissions, oops i just listed them) but this is really cool to mess around with.

keep up the good work!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I can't say that I understand it beyond the fact that it is pretty cool. Cannonball 2 will no doubt jump all over this! Would this also be useful for IGH's used as friction drive roller's?
SB