Full Suspension 97' GT LTS-5 Build

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, it sounds like you've been having fun, but I need pics so I can keep commenting :p Sanction, you need to look all over ebay and craigslist to find one but it's not impossible :)

Sanction

Jun 1, 2011
Central Florida
Well, it sounds like you've been having fun, but I need pics so I can keep commenting :p Sanction, you need to look all over ebay and craigslist to find one but it's not impossible :)
Oh your right, I have found a very few. But I'm not going to pay $300 or $400 for a 14 year old used bicycle. Not if I want to complete my build. I'll go hard tail before I line someone Else's greedy pockets. I bet I could find a seat that reclines, gives a massage, and serves up cold drinks in cup holder for that kind of money.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Oh your right, I have found a very few. But I'm not going to pay $300 or $400 for a 14 year old used bicycle. Not if I want to complete my build. I'll go hard tail before I line someone Else's greedy pockets. I bet I could find a seat that reclines, gives a massage, and serves up cold drinks in cup holder for that kind of money.
You probably could get a super chair for that price. Ya I really wanted at lts 1or 2 but wasn't gonna pay that much either. So I found this on on e-bay as described. If I am gonna pay that much I might as well just design something on AutoCad with my degree that I can't use till the economy gets better an pay someone for the materials and have them weld it together.

IDEA I might just do that at work when I am bored.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Sorry an lts 2 frame made from aluminum would cost more to build than 400$. Plus where are you going to find the suspension components. that are either machined or molded aluminum.Im not saying that it cant be done, but you better have a complete welding and machine shop at your disposal. Sorry I dont think asking $400 for a 1200$ bike is that bad

JMO

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
On the other hand I have one but I am choosing not to build it because I am afraid ill break it. Too nice a bike for the abuse that i would give it. But if some one else wanted to buy it and break it its ok with me
I want a Boxer...

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
ToxicAz

Cool build. That is the first time, for me to see the 4 stroke jackshaft mount used on a 2 stroke. sbp shift kits are the nuts. I bought original kit # 36, they have sold way past a 1000 kits now i think.

Ron

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Ski Joe I would buy it I just don't have any money to start another build yet I still have to finish this one. Oncer I get everything the way I want it I am gonna take it apart and paint the whole thing.

As for desinging one I wouldn't even try to do an alum bike I would go chromoly with a design similar to that of the BOXER ( I say similar but not stealing their design. Where the folcrom for the swing arm is, would be about the only logical placement.)

I have a few other Ideas to try and test out in CAD. You should build it just have to spred out the weight and pressures of the mounts.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
ToxicAz

Cool build. That is the first time, for me to see the 4 stroke jackshaft mount used on a 2 stroke. sbp shift kits are the nuts. I bought original kit # 36, they have sold way past a 1000 kits now i think.

Ron
Thanks Neat, I didn't relize that it was the 4-stroke kit I will have to look into that. Anyway if it is, then the exrta strength will be nice cause I plan on ridding some mountain bike trails with it nothing to extreme but,fun.

I mostly got it for comfort and some dirt being that on my side of town there is not many bike lanes, but lots of dirt next to the road to ride on as a bike lane.

dnut

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Here are some more and better quility pictures as promised. I still have to add the bmx bars and the xpipe. Also ignore the cables esecially the clutch and throttle cable haven't decided on the final placement of those yet.

I know I will tuck the clutch cable under the tank, it was under there but only tucked up under not on the other side of the stud. Also still have to hook up the kill switch and I just got Jaguar's Cdi and a coil from DaveC the other day so will put that on (thanks DaveC).

I already have a 2.4in front tire and a 2.3 for the rear that fit. The rear is already mounted to a heavy duty sunrim alum double wall rim and sram cassette. They will be on in the next pics hopefully with the above mentioned as well.

GTLTS-5OUTDOOR-5-1.jpg GTLTS-5OUTDOOR-16.jpg GTLTS-5OUTDOOR-11.jpg GTLTS-5OUTDOOR-20.jpg

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Nice Build ToxicAZ. I'm probably the biggest fan of the LTS
My second bike was a LTS but I couldn't get the rear suspension to work without having to alter the frame so I decided to make it a hard tail instead. I bought my frame for $70. It ran great and was hecka fast because I had a Morini on it. Don't let the thin aluminum frame fool you. I ran mine in the dirt all the time and it held up without cracking. I still have it but without the motor and love riding it around. This is one of the last pictures I have of it with a motor.

Attachments

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Nice Build ToxicAZ. I'm probably the biggest fan of the LTS
My second bike was a LTS but I couldn't get the rear suspension to work without having to alter the frame so I decided to make it a hard tail instead. I bought my frame for $70. It ran great and was hecka fast because I had a Morini on it. Don't let the thin aluminum frame fool you. I ran mine in the dirt all the time and it held up without cracking. I still have it but without the motor and love riding it around. This is one of the last pictures I have of it with a motor.
That is sweet EZRider. Now I really would like a fork like that but way outta of my price range I will upgrade this ones forks eventually. Good thing is that the Lts-5 is chromoly and not alum. I wonder if there is any way to get a morini with shiftkit on my bike, but that would be way down the road if possible.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Toxicaz

If your shift kit bolted up without major mods, then it must be the current china girl system.

Will check out their web site . Imo it will work better with a morini than the original 2 stroke kit. They just keep making their kits better ("gooder") !

Ps; Checked out sbp web site. You have the current 2 stroke kit. If you look at the Customer builds on the home page you can see the original jack shaft brackets. They have the plastic cover over the shaft sprocket on the right side. They have adapted the 4 stroke bracket to work on the china girl, its cool, me likie.

Ron ___________cvlt1

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Ya I like it a lot it is very strong. The only problem I had was that everyone says you really need to tighten the rear mounts but I guess I did mine to tight cause the muffler clamps started to bow out and bend not the seat post.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
So I got running well enough and some good tires on it that I took it on the mountain bike trail by my house called fantasy island. it was a blast I didnt ride more then about 2miles of the 12mile trail cause I wanted to test it out. The chain deailred once but that was to be expected considering how rough the trail is.

the bike handles really well there are a lot of sharp turns and steep quick up hills some pedal assist was needed to keep the rpms up but most of the time I just took the corners sideways and a little scary might I add to keep them up, faster then I would on a pedal bike. i will put the 9 tooth shift kit sproket on to lower the gearing and that should do it along with the xpipe.

Pictures to come of the bike all covered in fine arizona dust from the trail. I wish i had a helmet came to show you guys. that will be my next purchase.

dnut

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I love fantasy island, it is one of the coolest place to ride a bike. Just wish it was not so far from me.

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I love fantasy island, it is one of the coolest place to ride a bike. Just wish it was not so far from me.
ya Istill take my reg mt pedal bike on it everyonce in a while. I have lived by Fantasy Island for about 12yrs now been riding it for just about as long thats why I can haul a** with the Lts-5 cause I know whats coming next. Also if you ever want me to come out that way I think my bike is ready to ride the dirt roads with you like the one in that last video you posted.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
So I just ordered a Puch hi hi compression head for the Gt. Also got a jaguar cdi and kx80 coil ready to go and put on with the head and the sbp expansion. I will add one at a time once it breaks in a little more. nezt is the xpipe that I have been lagging on doing along with posting more pics. I am going to San diego for a few weeks then after that i will get back to work on the build.