Insulating the exhaust or not?

GoldenMotor.com

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Does anybody know about insulating the exhaust by this i mean wrapping the pipe to keep the baffle heat up???does this give more performance shall i not waist my time and go for the fatty pipe??
thanks
john

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Does anybody know about insulating the exhaust by this i mean wrapping the pipe to keep the baffle heat up???does this give more performance shall i not waist my time and go for the fatty pipe??
thanks
john
What would be the advantage of keeping the baffle heat up? To make the catalyst in the muffler work better?

The only reason I would insulate a pipe (fatty or otherwise) is to keep from burning my leg or other body parts. Not seeing any performance gains in this application...

I'm sure this post will get moved to the Intake / Exhaust forum soon...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
To the best of my knowledge, exhaust/header wrap is used (in cars) to both keep engine compartment heat down and to prevent the sudden cooling of exhaust gasses as they exit the engine and enter the exhaust system (more of a problem with headers than cast manifolds ofc), which would make it turbulent and slightly reduce flow...

TBH, I'm not even sure how truly effective it is performance wise even with a 'rodded V8 - but I've used it a bunch to keep the heat down near other components and to help deaden the "bang" a bit - but be warned, nice as it is - it does promote rust by trapping moisture during the cooling cycle.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this is from the Thermo-Tec website:

"Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures."

i don't think that really matters on our motors.

like the other guys, i use header wrap to keep from burning my leg. i have the backwards motor set up with the exhaust in the rear, and my right leg is always about 2 inches from it. my pant leg flutters against the pipe, and without the wrap, it'll burn right through it.

i've heard the "trapping moisture/rust" theory before, but i don't really believe it, unless the bike sits in the rain or gets condensation from long term storage. seems to me the pipe gets hot enough to burn off any moisture. and once the paint burns off the stock pipe anyway (which takes a few days) it'll start to rust, wrap or no wrap.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The rust thing was a problem w/the wrapped V8 headers I've had, but ofc I don't live in Cali ;)

...but yea, I agree that there's prolly no performance gain to speak of, particularly with these lil engines.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The rust thing was a problem w/the wrapped V8 headers I've had, but ofc I don't live in Cali ;)

...but yea, I agree that there's prolly no performance gain to speak of, particularly with these lil engines.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Most people wrap their pipes for looks.

I don't know if these little engines make enough heat to do this, but I wrapped the headers on my Sportster and after 2 years the pipes cracked to pieces. Same thing happened on my Road King too in about the same amount of time.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
thanks for the info guys made my decition and will go with modified motox performance exhaust....just clocked 300ks on my super rat and it has loosened up nicely needs to breath....cheers

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
whats this exhaust you are talkin about and is it availible local or do ya have to order it?
gday Ronnie this thread was about a wrap that you can use around the exhaust headers to keep the heat up thus drawing out the exhaust fumes easily...does it increase perfomance i dont think it matters in this scale of engine....
when you talk large drag engines in an engine bay then yes because of heat on other components and as mentioned heat retention in the headers...
you will see huge inprovements with a fatty pipe for your engine more power down low so if your after speed then a smaller sprocket will do that.brnot

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
Im using heat wrap for three reasons
1) looks cool
2) prevents my leg from getting burnt
3) the engine gets up to operating temp faster

on a side note, the same company that makes the heat wrap i bought also makes at 2500degree silicone sealant for the wrap if your really concerned about rust issues, it come in multiple colors including aluminum...i personally like the golden fiberglass look...