SWEET - 5:1 Gearbox With Double Right-Sided Drive

GoldenMotor.com

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
This is my new build which I consider an advancement in the art of motorizing bicycles, because it has so many advantages over current designs, like the Dax chain drive and belted designs. It uses a low cost 5:1 gearbox and NEAT TIMES/RON'S double right-sided drive with double freewheels. Here's the benefits:
1. Lost cost gearbox
2. Motor close to tire for better balance and look
3. Use of very available 8mm sprockets and chain
4. Double freewheels so riding as a bicycle there is zero drag
5. Easy change out of drive sprocket from 11t to 14t
6. And best of all, solid chain drive for dependable, all weather performance

The red can is my silencer invention. Using a Schwinn Riverside cruiser and the $89 Tanaka Purefire 32cc 2 stroke. Thinking of putting this out as a kit with all the parts except motor.

Attachments

Last edited:

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
The concept of hooking into the 3 speed shifter might work, but of course it would add more expense and complication. Like to see someone try it. Probably an additional $150, $85 for the hub, plus respoking shipping and taxes. More than the cost of the bike. I paid $129 for the bike.

Last edited:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
It absolutely kicks ass!

Im running 16 tooth at the rear wheel on a 10" O.D. tire so scale that up.

Im also running 21 tooth on the input of the tranny, and you can pick up a 25 tooth for it to further reduce your output.

with a 44 tooth on a 26" O.D. tire, depending on your weight, you might not need to peddle at all from a stand-still. Even on a hill :)

Using peddle assist to start, you could likely rip with a 32tooth on the wheel.

I could guarantee in third you'll get a strong 27-38 mph in a comfortable rpm ranges. Open up the carb for a few hundres yards in 3rd, you might see 40 mph+. My personal best is 42 mph fully loaded with tools and gas, also running full lights on the generator hub.

Attachments

Last edited:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Geared for my rig, the key was to pull each gear to the max torque point, then allow the engine rpms to slow down to where the centrifigul cluth locking RPM and shift.

Doing so 1st pulled me up to 15 to reach max torque, 2nd would cruise to 30 easily at upper RPMS, but I shift around 20-25. I hit into third, and around 27 mph, the torque starting kicking in (you know these china clones are toque monsters) , and then max T somewhere around 35-37, where I finally let the carb open. The climb from 38 to 42 is much slower than other points of the curve of course. But seriously, the only thing limiting the top speed past 60mph would be not having 5 or 7 speeds to hit.

I would bet cash that a proper fitted expansion pipe and HP carb in this setup using the 3 speed would hit 47-52. Im hitting 42mph @ and im well under 7500 rpm using stock carb and exhaust.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I think a cvt is a much better option than the three speed hub, for about $80, no respoking and you get a continuously variable automatic tranny, no shifting. Here's a pic of another build of mine with a pocketbike cvt through a double right-sided drive: Further, I don't know if the three speed hub would work. A goped does not have pedals, but an MB needs two sprockets that operate independently with freewheels. Each drive has a separate freewheel. Don't think the 3 speed hub would work on an mb, without a complicated sick bike approach driving the bike from the front sprocket.

Attachments

Last edited:

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
It's not that easy to price the kit. I'd have to get estimates from machine shops for cutting and drilling parts. It could take a month or so to price a kit. I did it all by hand, but for production, it would have to be done by a machine shop for a reasonable price.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Um, you dont respoke the wheel silly :) . you mount the hub as a jack shaft, run the chain to it, and from the hub to the rear wheel.

I did the CVT trip. Its not worth the money.

2 CVT's + 10 CVT belts + new bearings, CVT modifications, ETC..... Your China CVT will not last. Including all the time spent changing belts on the road, pushing my rig home from a broken CVT part, on and on. I must have spent well over 200 hundred dollars just maintaining the system.

I gave up finally and put in the 3-speed where the CVT was, and I HAVE NOT adjusted it since. I put on KMZ510 chain, and I dont even have to adjust the chain.

Cost of nexus or CVT are the same. Add in belts, quality bearings, a spare belt just to get the China model maintainable, then add the weight of CVT compared to nexus... I did both and will never consider using a CVT agian.. EVER.....!!!!!!! They are junk.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
If you look again at the mid-axle shifters, they have an input sprocket and an output sprocket. They are not designed to be laced into the wheel.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I looked more at this tristar hub with two sprockets but just don't know if it would work. The larger sprocket drives an axle on a trike bicycle but may not freewheel. If the engine drove the inner sprocket, would the outer bicycle sprocket also turn? If the motor drives the outer sprocket would the inner sprocket turn? In order for the hub to work on an MB both sprockets would have to operate independeltly on freewheels, and without the hub in my hands or a very clear explanation of it, I don't know.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
Wow! Your concept here is very complicated and expensive, as you describe it. I suggest building one and show us that it works. The cvt was a very simple, and if it only lasts three years another $80 dollars for another one, it's worth it. The problem is the goped folks are overpowering the cvt, as it is only designed for 2hp or less. The engine I used is only 1.6hp.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
CVT lasted 2 months and I gave it away for free. Shimano is still running after 2000 miles.

shimano is SAME price as a cvt. I also run same engine as this. Not a goped engine.

And if you look at the pictures above, i DID build one. I still ride it!

I only just wanted to mention how close you were to being able to set that up.

The CVT will get you to 30 mph and 7800 rpms. The shimano will get you to 30 mph at 5000 rpms.

Ok, not really much more I could say about it. Your system is clean and it could be a master piece using the nexus. the CVT is JUNK. Same price and only a tiny tiny bit more complicated than mounting the CVT..

Trust me. the CVT did not last two years.... it was two months. THe quality of the CVT's are hit and miss.... mostly miss..

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I laugh at 'complicated and expensive' when the other option is a CVT I hope you try both really... anything but a single speed!!!

Shifters RULE!