bike wont idle after cruising surging rpms

GoldenMotor.com

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
ive checked everything i could possibly think of for leaks, tore down my jug and replace all gaskets and used a bit of gasket seal on each to help seal it. checked both sides of the motors Bearing seals (no gasket seal put on these) there fine no oil/gas in the case or on the out side of the seals.

Also when i start to get near the top of my rpms (doing the math im getting around 6300 rpm at 32 mph) im using a 41t sprocket and can get to 32 mph but getting to 32 is kinda rocky anything over 27 mph and the motor just doesn't feel like its running right. it seems like somethings starts releasing compression somewhere or something.i start hearing an extra noise that's different than the carb and exhaust like an air leak but cant tell from where.

any help would be great been dealing with these issues for almost 2 months now and im stumped even had 2 of my buddy's take a look at it and there just as stumped.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
is it possible that my head not making complete contact all around the jug could suck air in and make a lean condition its the only thing i can think that's happening ive got a bit of oil residue coming out from 2 spots on my head. i haven't lapped the head yet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lap the head, replace the head gasket and torque the nuts to 120 to 140 inch pounds.

I'd also suggest to get rid of the chrome acorn nuts and replace them with hex nuts and flat washers. The acorn nuts are notorious for causing problems with proper head sealing.

Tom

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
Already replaced them first thing i did. and yeah im gonna lap the head before i ride it again.

Thanks for the help ive been threw everything else and read as many things on the forums i could find before i posted. this just had me stumped on what was wrong

what grit sand paper should i use ?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
have you tried checking your idle screw adjustment? I have found that to be the culprit of over-revving on idle several times. it used to confuse me, because one day the bike would run fine, next day it would over-rev. come to find out, the spring behind the idle screw wears out very easily, and can throw your idle adjustment all over the place. i solved it with a small section of fuel hose, zip tied around the idle screw. keeps it in place but still allows for adjustment when needed.