oil coming out of exhaust - normal, or blowby?

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a modded pocketbike pipe, and my stinger rests against the top chainstay and exhaust fumes exit near the bottom of my seat. The past few days I have noticed that oil is collecting on my seat springs and my shirt reeks of exhaust fumes every time I get back from a run. I dont believe that it is blowby from bad rings, because the engine turns over as soon as I dump the clutch and runs pretty smooth once warmed up. I suppose I could be wrong, but I had an engine that the rings went bad, and the few times it did start after the rings went, it took forever to start and black oil dripped out of the muffler. The color of my spark plug is a medium to chocolate brown, which may be a tad rich, but I have leaned the needle clip out all the way, and turned my idle down about as low as it can get without the engine dying. The only way I could go any leaner would be adding less oil to my gas, and not sure thats a good idea. if I get it wrong, I could go too lean and shorten the life of the engine. I am currently running 4 ounces to a gallon, 32:1 on supertech universal oil from walmart. I know that people will say walmart oil aint the best, but I have been running it for a year and so far the engine has run fine. Its just the easiest oil for me to get, and the cheapest. So I ask, could this be normal, or is my engine dying?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
its a 2 stroke there is oil mixed in with the gas if its not all burned where do you think it would go??? Its not like theres an oilpan like on a 4stroke

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
just wanted to make sure it was normal and not blowby. I never noticed that oil before, and I never reeked of exhaust that bad. Of course, this engine is a year old, and I have only recently felt comfortable running wot consistently. Not saying I never ran wot at all before, just not consistently. I used to move the throttle up and down, now I usually run wide open most of the time. It makes me feel a lot better to know the oil coming out is normal. I am still going to do a predator build when I have the money, though. Tired of not knowing how much I can really depend on my bike, especially since my wife's car died.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I read your post and wanted to comment on a few things...

First using less oil will not "lean it out more" it will actually richen the fuel to air ratio, and using less oil like a 40:1 mix is a good idea.

Also, chocolate brown is the color you are going for, just about perfect as the plug goes.

Finally, if you think there is more oil than normal coming out, why not put in a new plug? Cheap, easy, and if your current plug is a year old, it's time to change it regardless of the color.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
As to more oil than normal, not sure. I realized after starting this thread that the stinger wasnt pointing under the seat until recently. Thats a different story. Its not a ton of oil, just enough to make my seat springs wet. Heck, for all I know it could even just be condensation from the heat of the exhaust fumes. As far as replacing the spark plug, would cleaning it with a wire brush be as good as replacing it?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
the bike runs ok. it starts fine. I was also having a lot of four stroking and my idle was all over the place, sometimes very low, sometimes way too high. My choke lever was loose, I put loctite on it, should hold it. I got a spark plug, but its not the exact same one I had. The bike is running a lot smoother than it was, and my idle is finally normal again, still a little four stroking. I am going to pick up an exact match of the spark plug I had, and I bet she runs smooth as glass after that.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
take the stinger off and clean it out with paint thinner or something like it seal up the ends and shake the crap out of it. When running snowmobiles I had to once and a while take the pipe off and clean it as it started to get clogged up with junk

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
If you run more Rich with oil, say 25:1, you will get more power as the extra oil helps to seal rings, scratches and makes more compression. This works until you get to 18:1 or richer with oil and then you start to lose power. My factory race bikes require 32:1 factory spec.. This too is a good mix ratio. Use a non synthetic for break in. Also.. For 4 strokes, if you run premix in your 4 stroke, it too will make more power !! Enjoy the ride...

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I can take the whole pipe off, but how is that gonna help me clean the stinger? anyway, I dont think the stinger is a can, just there for looks. where the exhaust exits is a pipe the same diameter as the header. anyway, i think the bike is ok. put a new plug in and went for a ride. checked the plug and it seems i was a bit lean. moved the clip down one notch on the throttle needle. havent ridden it yet since adjusting the needle, will see how she runs tomorrow.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I agree with dax, 4 oz/gallon equates to 32:1 and seems to be an ideal fuel/oil mixture especially in the summer when higher temps and humidty increase density altitude (engines will run richer in summer as a result) and the extra oil effectivly leans the mixture out a little. In cooler temps, I run 42:1 which does great too without any powerloss or change in performance (3oz oil per gallon)