26" Schwinn Timberland Motoring Mounting Troubles

GoldenMotor.com

tullyamo

Aug 29, 2010
Washington
I have recently joined the forum, scanned the forum for the frustration I have run across, and have come to the conclusion that I should go ahead and post and seek help. The dilemma I have having is mounting the new 2010 Grubee Skyhawk gt5 motor. The bike is a Schwinn 26" Timberland Mountain bike. I have no experience mounting and playing with motors as I would like to put that right out in front. I am a surgical assistant by profession. If I had problems in the OR room, I could solve it with little frustration. This motor on the other hand has had me in the garage unleashing **** upon my tools.

The problem I am having is simply mounting the unit on the frame of the bike. I have included pictures of this endeavor and yes, there are whole ton of scratches on the frame and its okay as I have no care now about that. On the bottom tube, I have attempted to use the universal mounting kit that I purchased with the motor kit. The seat tube, I am not having that much troubles with. I understand from reading other posts that the order things must be done is mount seat tube to motor, bottom tube, chain, carburetor, muffler, and so on.

First mounting revealed a ton of problems for me. The muffler was in the way of the pedal crank, the spark plug was directly under the top tube, the intake for the carburetor was so close to the top tube, the carburetor wouldn't fit on. I have read from many threads that the muffler will have to be bent. I understand that part, my question now is how do I mount that motor? I have posted pictures of the way it is in there now of course with problems I believe on alignment. The bottom universal mounting bracket I feel isn't set up appropriately as I have put so much time in doing incorrectly, I am pretty sure I couldn't tell anyone what the thinking was originally behind it. Side note, the chain wrench that came with the kit to run the chain through the sprocket on the motor absolutely will not fit on the nut for the sprocket. Probably a manufacture error. Thanks for any and all advice on this project.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As far as the plug goes, just remove the head and turn it around.

The front mount, use bolts instead of the studs to go throught the plate, then you won't have an interference problem there.

The intake? You'll have to let someone more experienced come along to help you out there, but there are some aftermarket manifolds that may help you out in that department.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
That seems like a real killer of an angle. You probably need to raise the front and lower the rear of the engine, if possible.

I have a decent intake from Jim (aka. Manic Mechanic, Creative Engineering, marketed by Pirate Cycles) and others have even cut the stock intake to make the carb sit level...

tullyamo

Aug 29, 2010
Washington
Bikerguy Joe
You mentioned turning the head around. Do you mean the four nuts at the top plate where the spark plug goes into the motor? Also, the bolt idea instead of the stud I have attached a picture that include the motor with the sprocket siding showing and a variety of the fittings for mounting next to it. I am a bit unsure as to which I need to use. Its it possible that the bottom bar I have is 1.5"? When I keep the studs on the motor the studs run into the bottom bar but do not saddle it. I am most likely making a LOT more difficult then it really is. I have also include a bare frame picture of the bike. Should I dremel the nibs off that are included on the seat and bottom bar for mounting waterbottle and sorts? Thanks for the tips and advice so far. Hopefully with the forum and my trusty iphone, this task can be achieved and perhaps help others.

Attachments

Last edited: