212cc Predator Schwinn Sierra Enduro Build

GoldenMotor.com

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
It's time to get building.

THE BIKE
IMG_3516.JPG
90's Schwinn Sierra. Will be upgrading fork, handlebars, brakes and wheels. New paint and fenders will be added.

The ENGINE
IMG_3518.JPG
Predator 212 Hemi. IF I can get the c clip off the governor shaft. That is truly a pain in the but. As you can see it's currently in pieces for governor removal, low oil sensor removal, and some mods.

THE PARTS
Seat, plastics and gas tank from a crf50: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=262483805951&globalID=EBAY-US
Jackshaft pieces: IMG_3519.JPG
This suspension fork: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=262483805951&globalID=EBAY-US
And more! Predator will have a new exhaust and air intake. 35 chain will be on the jackshaft and 420 to the back wheel.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Well I was sure the212 would fit. But without cutting off the gas tank mounts, it won't. So I'm going with a 79 for this bike and I'll use the 212 on my next.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Well I was sure the212 would fit. But without cutting off the gas tank mounts, it won't. So I'm going with a 79 for this bike and I'll use the 212 on my next.
There is a section of threads called:

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Dremel or a Die Grinder with cut off disc makes short work of unwanted parts. But I don't have that much experience with the HF engines and if a smaller one will work, it probably is best. The 212 is big but a 79 is 3hp anyway. 3hp 4 stroke with low end torque and a bit lighter weight would be good!

I been using Briggs 3 and 3.5 hp and I fit it but at around 15 degree angle. I heard that is the limit for lubrication to function well. But when I am off road riding up hill and think combined I over do it for a while. I made an adapter so on level ground the carb bowl is level even though the engine is on a 15 degree angle tilt.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
The 212 is a monster on bicycles. It will turn your teeny spokes in to pretzels. It also REQUIRES disc brakes! It will pull wheelies, especially when you don't want it to. Mine ran 4 feet up a tree when I started it and the carb slide was stuck wide open. They can also propel your butt to 60mph easily, which is kind of scary on a bicycle (and I ride much faster than that daily on a motorcycle ) Bicycles just shouldn't go that fast.

Good idea with the 79cc engine. I will probably be getting one to replace the Honda engine on mine (the exact engine that predator cloned as a 212)

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
There is a section of threads called:

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Dremel or a Die Grinder with cut off disc makes short work of unwanted parts. But I don't have that much experience with the HF engines and if a smaller one will work, it probably is best. The 212 is big but a 79 is 3hp anyway. 3hp 4 stroke with low end torque and a bit lighter weight would be good!

I been using Briggs 3 and 3.5 hp and I fit it but at around 15 degree angle. I heard that is the limit for lubrication to function well. But when I am off road riding up hill and think combined I over do it for a while. I made an adapter so on level ground the carb bowl is level even though the engine is on a 15 degree angle tilt.
Yeah... I think the 79 will be good oh this one. I'll make some kind of monster bike to put the predator on.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I saw a guy using the 212 which I think is 6.5 hp on a skate board. Needless to say when I was asking to see him ride it, he was saying to me and his friend that it hurt his feet and thought it was too much. I was thinking the throttle should be able to start away easy, but maybe the clutch grabs to fast? In any case skate board 6.5 hp did sound insane.

But really a 2hp Briggs I had fixed a stuck valve and from the trash it rode nice even without a clutch. The pulley to wheel attached with wood and bolts as a kid, I rode it everywhere.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
You don't need those gas tank mounts anyway, in fact I think they are a liability and should be cut off. If you hit the motor on one it will take a bite out of the crankcase. My buddy removed both, I'm removing one (flywheel side) next time I take out the motor, possibly both if I can mount the front different. My buddy uses the cylinder mount with a heim link as the front mount.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Back in the 50's i put a 1 1/2 Briggs in a old bike, with V-plex clutch ( no longer made ) belt primary. It went 25 mph all day long, being a kid took it down and opened up the ports with rotary file and drill, got it to go 35 mph. Was really fun, then being 16 traded it for Model A Ford....................Curt