I need a "cool" helmet

GoldenMotor.com

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I'm skinny and tall... so the only motorcycle helmets I've tried on at meijers (our local version of walmart) look ginormous on me... ridiculously big. I've found my favorite designs... the first flat black one with the vertical slits in the mouthpiece is my favorite so far, its a cbx I found on ebay for only $49... really considering ordering it (and possibly adding the yellow tint to the visor for "lego eyes!"

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm not gonna read this whole thread, but if you're buying a helmet, make sure it's DOT approved motorcycle helmet, not a bicycle helmet.

i got a ticket in california for wearing a pro-tec skateboard helmet. i think the fine is 300 bucks. if i woulda spent that on a DOT helmet, i coulda bought one for everyday of the week.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good advise Baird, can't go wrong with DOT approved. Fines and hospital stays cost way more. It is worth a read, some funny and good stuff.

Great link Red! They got some great stuff. The line from the spiked helmet; "No, it’s not safe! Do you actually think riding around with a 3 inch metal spike on your head is safe?? of course not." Now I want one

laff

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Pretty cool helmets, Red.

I picked up a half-helmet on Ebay for $2.49 on a bid...........the shipping was higher than the price, but I have yet to use it. I had won another one, a light weight bicycle helmet for $5.00 and it seems that's the one I always use.

Ebay is great for us skin-flints!

.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a side note, many city's and towns sell bicycle helmets cheaply at town hall. (promote bikes and biking sort of thing) If cash straped check their web site or give a call.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Purty cool Chris, TY.

Your sig, I always thought that was a Churchill quote. Live an' learn. Looked it up 2b sure, and your right,, was Bill's.

Years back I had a plumbing biz. My version of that was to take out "greatness" and replace with ".....Some men are born stuffy. Some men achieve stuff, some men have stuff thrust upon them"

Didn't use the word stuff though

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've joined the ranks of the helmeted. Went out today and found one that I thought was the least dorkiest looking one I could find. It even color matches my Schwinn Jaguars. It also has more of a helmet shape to it instead of most of them that make you look like the guys who fired the Death Star weapon in the original 'Star Wars' movie.
In view of the title of this thread I have to say that it is "a cool helmet". By that I mean...my friggin' head is frozen. No hair, a 40 degree day and a vented bicycle helmet is not the best combination. Why in the heck are they all vented? I have my old MC helmet and I could wear it but I wanted something a little lighter and less abtrusive for a bicycle. I'm going out again and try it with a wool stocking cap under it. Maybe then my brain won't get sluggish from the cold. I'll keep you posted.
Tom
(edit)
Didn't make it. The rains came again and the temp dropped. When is this winter going to end?

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Either way, hot or cool, I'm glad to hear that you'll be wearing a helmet. I had three burn up in the fire. One was small and for my granddaughter and a spare for somebody to ride with. Only one I'll miss had the Indian decals on it. Have to get another set when I find another helmet. That was my "cool one" or so I thought anyway.
SB

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I have a plain bmx full face racing helmet...was pretty plain till i stickerfied it with cool stickers you can also find on the internet and then you can personalize it, then when you have your stickers in place clear coat the cr@p out of it... thats what i did.

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
I guess it depends on how hot the fire is. Mine didn't look so cool, more like a puddle/lump.
SB
Oh, well, you have to start this one yourself and you shouldn't be near trees either=) SB, I'm so sorry about your misfortune. Poor doggy all confused and everything. I wasn't thinkin' about your situation when I posted. You weren't near your truck with yer helmet on fire were you?! You've rode around with your helmet on fire before!? Man, I was just kiddin'. (did, you smile? you smiled, didn't you. that's what I was goin' for) =).xx.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh, well, you have to start this one yourself and you shouldn't be near trees either=) SB, I'm so sorry about your misfortune. Poor doggy all confused and everything. I wasn't thinkin' about your situation when I posted. You weren't near your truck with yer helmet on fire were you?! You've rode around with your helmet on fire before!? Man, I was just kiddin'. (did, you smile? you smiled, didn't you. that's what I was goin' for) =).xx.
I smile quite a bit as it is the only way to greet the world. Smiles are free and I wonder why some people are so reluctant to give them away. I like humor and I certainly didn't take anything in a negative way. So anyway, what does a light touch of fire do to your helmet? I guess I don't exactly understand. Next helmet of mine I want to get some of those cool goggles to go with to keep the eyes from tearing up in cool weather. Need doggles for the moosh, too, like snoopy airman doggles.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Moosh could learn to say, "Curse you, Red Barron" and shake her paw.
Good to see you in good spirits, Bear. keep smilin'; we'll smile with you.
Tom

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
I smile quite a bit as it is the only way to greet the world. Smiles are free and I wonder why some people are so reluctant to give them away. I like humor and I certainly didn't take anything in a negative way. So anyway, what does a light touch of fire do to your helmet? I guess I don't exactly understand. Next helmet of mine I want to get some of those cool goggles to go with to keep the eyes from tearing up in cool weather. Need doggles for the moosh, too, like snoopy airman doggles.
SB
Keeps yer head warm, makes you more visible. Can't you just see some guy rollin' by you on an MB with a three foot trail of flames commin' off his head. I'm crackin' up,man! Thanks fer lettin' me keep this up. Google goggles, doggle googles, google goggle doggles=) I want some too. I wear sunglasses or saftey glasses at the moment. i like to make people laugh, especially when their down.