switches that fit in the bike lever?

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I want me some break lights and I know you can buy the levers with the switch already in there but I have looked at my levers and there is already a threaded hole in them where the switch would be and I was wondering if you could buy switches that I can just screw in there.

This would be less trouble than having to take everything off my handle bar to install the new ones

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I want me some break lights and I know you can buy the levers with the switch already in there but I have looked at my levers and there is already a threaded hole in them where the switch would be and I was wondering if you could buy switches that I can just screw in there.

This would be less trouble than having to take everything off my handle bar to install the new ones
That threaded hole is there because the manufacturer uses the same lever frame for a dual pull lever. It wasn't intended for a switch. Some clever innovation and you might come up with a way to utilize that hole if you can find a normally open momentary push button switch that can be adapted to the lever.
I have a link for a hand brake lever with a built in switch. I'll edit this post and add it if I can find that link.
Tom

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
The hole is a little too small for the duel pull, idk what its orginally for but I do not really care.

if I can figure out what size the threading is I can probably find a switch the right size to fit in there and that would save me a little effort.

I have some switched leavers on order I picked up for $8 but I would rather save this for my next bike

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Mopeds use the small stoplight switches that thread into levers. They're 6mm X 1.0mm thread, which is a real common size. Unfortunately, most are normally open and break contact when lever is pulled. Some are normally closed and are open when installed into the lever perch, so when the lever is pulled, it makes contact. Check with a moped parts supplier if your thread is 6mmX1.

Professor_Fate

May 11, 2011
H.B./O.C. Calif
Type into Google " magura brake lever with switch".......they a bit O cash, but it solved
two problems....
1. with a front drum brake the magura lever gives LOTS of throw
2. brake light switch

The magura brake lever with switch is a right mount.....I just flipped it over to use on the left side and also flipped the pivot bolt....the only downside is the brake cable end is visible from the
top rather than under the lever...