what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Pure R&D work trying to make oil changes easier on my GHX50 Honda motor. Machined a third 8mm X 1.25 to 1/8" pipe thread adapter. I made this one out of Aluminum stock. It leaked where it distorted when I screwed the coupler to it. Back to the drawing board for a fourth try. Rode uptown a couple of times for parts and groceries.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Moved one so I could get a cabinet door open in my garage. Bumped my head on the one hanging from the ceiling and banged my shin on the pedal of one when I was leaning over it to check the fuel in the one I moved earlier. So many bikes...so little garage space.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gumby

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I spent a bit of time tallying up which parts I'm going to save off the wreck for the new build.

Reactions: Mossy

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.

Just finished cutting up the exhaust/welding/installing.

Didn't turn out like I planned, mainly due to my poor welding skills, but seems to be alright. Sounds alright.

Need a wider crank now though. Not because the pedals hit it (made it so it wouldn't) but because otherwise I'm going to burn my leg on it real easy.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

i put my dads bike toghether after stealing parts off it to make mine work it runs great now

i even sacrificed my front brake to put it on his cause his caliber brakes suck extremly bad

my bike came with v brake adapter mounts so i just put it on his worked out real well

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

took it on it's first trip to work and back, co-workers were asking me where i got it and how much...

still a bit tricky getting the darn thing to idle while it's cold and choke ON, but eh, it doesn't take long before the choke needs to be turned off.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine

I kept looking at a spare 49cc scooter Magnito... I could make this work... has a lighting coil also. rode 10 miles in a medium cold mist. BTW, Tom, I think your beyond efficient, not only have you used every bit of the horizontal space in the workshop, you use the vertical space as well!

Mac

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

stood there wondering if its worth turnin the grubbee pipe backwards like the way its supposed to look

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

took it for another ride just for the **** of it. need to raise the idle slightly since it would stall out toward the end, and need to find a larger petcock for it than the one provided since i got it to bog down a little from constant cruising.

also need to figure something out for the front mount. been running without it since it sat in there quite nicely, but didn't have enough room for the universal plate, and not enough room to use studs.... hhhmmm. also need to take out the broken bolt in the mount from the attempt at putting it on the chopper, snapped a bolt head off in the engine's front mount hole. that's going to be a ***** getting it out

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO

Totally disassembled my engine to correct a crankshaft imbalance. Found the counterweights to have CASTING SAND in the cut outs. Found a few other problems which indicate that I need to replace the whole crank. I'm now waiting on some answers down in Norms 2 Stroke Repair before I decide which crank to order.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cleaned the carb out again! 2ce. Drilled 1/4 hole in the tank cap. Swapped out the stock china girl pet-cock for a 1/4 brass nipple. Changed the fuel filter. (all after Kreem coating tank) Just to come to the conclusion (again) that the spring in my clutch, when warm or hot, is too lose. One very expensive spring, snork (In it's defence, in it's early life I beat on it trying to kill it to see, what oddly enough would kill it. Turns out, I found out)

Sad part, man I love these things!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

finished a copper tank for aztoker, then looked at my new bike for a minute, deciding if i wanted to start on that tank, then said #%$! it, and jumped on my old bike and rode through a whole tank of gas.

i haven't ridden enough for myself lately...

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland

I got it running right, thanks to some great suggestions from bairdco, GearNut, Dave31, and my genius attack cat. I was running with no air filter to test and dont want to ruin my engine, so after following lots of advice it ran right. As for the cat, she saw me messing with the air cleaner and ordered me to feed her and that was when the idea came. Her food container is the same diameter as the NT cleaner housing. She got her food and I got a velocity stack over top of the NT air filter and everybody's happy.

Here it is, works as good as no filter. I will probably be disappoointed with when my expensive filter arrives.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

decided to take the carb off, and pull it apart to make sure everything is as it should be. then got the front mount bolted to the frame *used the universal plate and the hole in the frame for the cup holder*

but now i think i might have put the float in upside down (if that's even possible) since now it won't run past maybe 1/3 throttle. runs fine at idle, but when in gear it has no power at all.

Reactions: Larry Trotter

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Waiting up for parts to convert to NuVinci hub, so I fixed what I have for now.

Last week, there was major vibration and wobble at the bottom bracket and shift kit location. I removed the freewheel mechanism, and sure enough, it had failed. While inspecting everything, I also detected a CRACK! on the 22-tooth bicycle chainring!! This 22t sprocket is actually a thin cassette cog. Couldn't find a replacement, so I ordered a SBP 24-tooth chainring. I just need to drill four bolt holes into it, since this sprocket is a 5-hole cog and I use a 4-hole freewheel mechanism in my shift kit. All gear ratios will rise a little, but no biggy.

FYI, I run a GP460 4.2hp engine with Scooterguy frame mount, shift kit and 8-speed road bike cassette. The Happy Time expansion pipe fits perfectly onto my upside-down engine. Its headpipe fits great between engine and 4-liter HT fuel tank. Power is awesome, and the bike performs like a small motorcycle.xct2

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland

Found my left peddle loose, so I tightened it (left hand threads).

Then realized it's stripped out... S.O.B

I'm gonna look like a fool riding a bike with one crank arm til I get a new one.