Midwest Motorized Bicycle Cruise

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Another question I have is how many miles do we want to cruise round trip? We have endless country blacktops and various places of interest we could visit. What say you folks about round trip, 20 mile, 30 mile, 40 mile or go for the gusto and do 50 with a few intermissions?lol
I am game for a couple rides. Probably something like a meet n greet, then a ride, then some downtime and then another ride. Maybe a couple 25 mile rides? I am really game for whatever!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When the Denver Area Riders, DAR, get together we tyically do 60 and 70 mile rides so 40 or 50 is cool with me. I'm just along for the ride so I'll follow the crowd. Whatever makes everyone else happy I'm good with.
I'm there for the fish fry and beer :)

Tom

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
When the Denver Area Riders, DAR, get together we tyically do 60 and 70 mile rides so 40 or 50 is cool with me. I'm just along for the ride so I'll follow the crowd. Whatever makes everyone else happy I'm good with.
I'm there for the fish fry and beer :)

Tom
I am game for longer as well! Whatever works best for everyone else!

Hold on while I make my bike more reliable over the next couple months ha!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Bummer! June 13 is not going to work for me.

Just today, as a matter of fact, I pinned down travel plans that come awfully close to that date. I'm gonna go down south and visit my Mom and sisters and brother.

And June 13 is the last day I work before two weeks of vacation. I can't ask for that day off now. I'd feel like a heel.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That is a bummer to hear. Going to be hard to find a date that works out for everyone, but you are close enough to me that perhaps we could get together for a separate ride one day this year?
Also there is the possibility that June 13 might not work out for most people interested and we may have to change the date. However before long we will have to pick a date and stick with it so folks can make plans without fear of a date change. I would say within the next couple weeks we could be open to date changes before picking an absolute date..so if one of the September dates works better for you let me know and we will see what the others think.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
We can always tally up which days work best for everyone and go from there? I am game as long as it's after June 6th. I can always re-arrange my schedule according to that.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Cool beans!

Google Map sez I’m just 2 hours & 18 mins away so I would most certainly consider it.

And I’d be up for a longer ride as long as it’s not too fast of a pace. What’s a typical speed range for these anyway...?

If it helps planning I already know for sure the June 6th, September 5, & Oct 3rd dates wouldn’t work for me. Hopefully Mrs. B. doesn’t has other stuff planned I’m not yet aware of...

-Kirk

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
And I’d be up for a longer ride as long as it’s not too fast of a pace. What’s a typical speed range for these anyway...?
-Kirk
Kirk

Sounds great...hope you can make it!
20 mph is a nice lazy cruise speed and allows you to take things in and just enjoy the ride. 20 mph also puts you on the right side of Illinois gas/electric motor assisted bicycle law. The basic gist of the law is you don't have to have a drivers license in Illinois to operate a motor assisted bicycle, but you must be at least 16 years old, stay off the sidewalks and not get busted going over 20 mph. Of course I have been known to goose the throttle a bit from time to time and have cruised at 30 mph, but generally speaking my average speed on a blacktop cruise is 20 - 25 mph with the lower end of that probably being preferable when riding as a group.

I really don't care how far we ride so long as there were a few pit stops. Maybe include a gas station stop in the route in case anyone needs fuel, snacks or a chance to stretch. This is a very rural area and the closest gas station from my location is around 14 miles away. No trouble finding beer here, but gas.....that takes a bit more more effort.LOL

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Great!

My favorite ride is old and slow, but it really likes 15 to 20 and will putt along at those speeds all day long. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the 2 strokes without prolonged high rpm’s.

And I’m way past legal for age & license. “- )

-Kirk

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
any date good for me. i agree with 2door that spring not an option because of weather. anyone from michigan wants to go we can car pool

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
20 MPH sounds so good. It's such a comfy speed to ride a motorized bicycle. No screaming between my knees, little to no vibration and you have time to look around, smell the smells and you're not beating your engine or yourself to death.
Yeah, my bikes will go faster, but why bother? If I wanted to go fater I'd take my pickup.

This is looking better and better. (Just not sure I can spend a day with my boss) :)

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Tom

Yea..I kinda like just putting along. Makes both me and my "Happy Time" happy. Lived here basicly all my life and I am always amazed the things I notice just putting along on my bike that I never notice whizzing by in my truck or car. I really try to savor every ride and take in as much as I can.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Still planning of June 13. Not really much to report except to say I have been looking at various routes for a cruise for the participants to consider when time gets closer. Just mainly waiting to see how many we have interested and then when we are around 4 weeks outs...we can really hammer down some details and also have a better idea of who is going to be able to make it and who is not.
I would say that the best thing we can do during this time is drum up as much interest as we can and then come May when we are 4-6 weeks out we can then get a schedule for the meet/cruise day made up and and I will send participants some information on daily schedule, possible lodging for those who might need it,maps for our cruise routes , lunch menu, directions, contact info, etc etc.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's a shame that June 13 won't work for me.

All the same, ckangaroo, it's clear that we live pretty close together. You're in the same area code as I am.

Maybe I can join you on a Sunday leading up to the big day and we'll scope out possible routes for the big group ride.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That sounds like a great idea. We get a nice Sunday after Easter is over...just give me a call at (three zero nine) three three eight two six nine nine and we will see if we can get together for a cruise. Just put some new kevlar tires and heavy tubes on my bike and would like to get a nice day to go try them out on a couple hour ride.