Roadmaster take 3.

GoldenMotor.com

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
This is my third build using the CWC. style frame. I just love the lines of the frame . The rear tubing is also 1.5 times the diameter of other frames such as Schwinn.
Anyway A previous customer of mine saw me out on my personal 79cc CWC. Western Flyer, and flagged me over. He bought it on the spot.
So it was back to riding my 2 stroke bike again. It's just not the same. So all other builds are on hold until this one is finished.

I'm 2 days in. Now I'm in a holding pattern weighting for parts.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Funny, I'm gearing up for a '51 roadmaster with a 79cc as well. Might take me a little longer than you, though. I have most of the parts except for what I need to finish my custom wheels. Yamaha drum in front, moped drum hub in rear, both on bicycle rims. It's my first cwc frame, but will likely be my last bike for a long time. With 24" wheels and a 36t chainring to a 24t freewheel, should be easy to pedal, eliminating the need for a backup bike, which is good because I have none. My last bike the motor died and the frame cracked, though not at the same time. Motor died first. On to bigger and better, now.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
The frame I had was "modified" and that's what did it in. Got it from a buddy, who I won't name because it's NOT his fault, and when he was using it he cut a notch in the down tube between the support braces so he could fit a battery in the space there. He told me about it and suggested that I have it repaired. I chose not to, thinking it would be fine. The spot where he cut it is exactly where it cracked. I blame no one but myself, because I was more than adequately forewarned. I did not heed the warning. I am just grateful that I was not motoring when it happened, or they would have been picking me up off the ground. I am very excited about my new project, and although it is a cwc frame, I will thoroughly inspect it before motorizing. I will be pedaling it for probably at least a few days before finishing the motorized portions, so it will get some actual stress testing that way as well. I am confident that it will be strong and sturdy, but it never hurts to check/test anyway.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I am also doing the cwc frame. I love the lines. I am not sure how many other frames could have nestled the Briggs motor I am using. It's posted in this section. I have not put it on the road yet (hope to by next weekend). Glad to hear they are sturdy frames for a motor on them I have seen more and more used for motorized bikes lately. I will be watching your post to see the final result and maybe some mods I can apply to my bike. They are never really completely done are they. I really dig the look you have going so far and I am sure it will purr once you are done.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
She is running. I'm using husky wheels with 11ga spokes and front drum. I'm still waiting on the wide cranks.
Well I threw some steel rod threw the bottom bracket with some duct tape, and took her for a ride. She ran strong until half throttle, then fell flat. I ended up going from a 65 to an 88jet. I think I mite go to a 90. She's running strong now. The exhaust on the bike now is just temporary as well as the forks. Just wanted to go for a spin. I plan on using a truss frontend and full fenders.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I can't see the motor mount from the rear, what type of mount is it? I'd like to maybe mount mine upright like that, now that I see that it will fit.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Finished my exhaust and got the pedals on her. I rode it all weekend at Jay's rally. It ran really well, but still felt a bit flat up top. Turns out my intake gasket had a rip in it .She's all patched up and running fine now. she's probably going to stay like this for a while.

Hear is my Tack speedo.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
bike looks great....is that a 79cc hf like you had on the red tank bike? different clutch? what carb are you using that you need to keep fattening up the mixture?
Glad you guys all had a good time at Jays....its neat he does that every year.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
bike looks great....is that a 79cc hf like you had on the red tank bike? different clutch? what carb are you using that you need to keep fattening up the mixture?
Glad you guys all had a good time at Jays....its neat he does that every year.
Yes same setup as the other bike ,but I'm using an NT carb.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Its not that unusual for different carbs to need a richer mix. My flathead needed a 90 jet too, and that was with a 19mm carb. I plan on running an NT carb in my 79cc as well, I'm just gonna pop the 90 jet out of the mikuni and pop it in the NT. I went on bikeberry and found a 40mm intake and gasket for like $14 shipped, so I'm going with that. I just dont want to deal with tuning the mikuni again, so I'm selling it.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Turns out I have an 80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, and a 95, but no 90. As the 95 would obviously be way too rich, I'm gonna run the 87.5. I'll see how it goes, if it's too lean I'll play with the needle clip, that will hopefully keep me running ok until I order a 90 and get it in there, but maybe the 87.5 will run ok and get slightly better mileage than the 90.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Well I felt the bike was still a bit flat over 5000rpm .I hardly ever saw over 5400.
I thought to myself their is no way it still needs a bigger jet ,but I threw in the 95. Low and behold it now pulls up to and over 6000 scary fast now, but I had to move the clip to second from the bottom for the idle and low end. By my estimates it is now getting around 40mpg.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I had some carb issues on the CT ride I went on the other day. It turns out the 5 year old NT carb I had ben using was clogged with" shumotz ":) the bigger jets were helping counteract the clog in carb.
I went for multiple runs today to rejet the carb. It now is jetted with a 75 and revs all the way to the valves start to float at 6400rpm. The engine has much more power than it has had so far.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Well the quest for more power has started. I added a 40mm ported intake and a Speed carb. The Speed carb is the same designee as an NT, but with a larger intake. I don't know the actual size difference. But it's visibly larger. I had to jet the Speed up to around a 95 jet. I say around because the largest one I had was a 90. With the 90 it would still stumble at full throttle at low rpm ,unless you gave it a little choke.
I opened up the jet by filing it with a lightly knurled piece of welding wire, and repeatedly installing and rechecking. But it pulls hard now. Easily 35 mph up most hills.