Do eBikes trigger stop lights?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've always noticed that none of my motorcycles ever can make the stop lights change. Now it seems like my electric bicycle is more able to trigger the lights.

Has anyone noticed this?

I'm thinking electric bicycles must have a strong electric field that can trigger the lights.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Most of the sensors are magnetic and need a certain amount of metal to activate 'em. I guess that the magnetic fields generated by an E-bike could activate the sensors.

In Oklahoma, if a turn signal isn't activated by the second light cycle, a motorcyclist may legally make a turn on the red light.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No. Karma triggers them. If your Karma is good you sail through them. If your mojo is bad you get stopped at every one.

Seriously, the sensor loops that are embedded in the pavement react to metallic mass. It might be they are seeing your batteries or there's enough metal in your bike.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I know all the insensitive lights in town.

If a big street I'll go thru and uturn. If a small street I'll just stop look and go.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
No. Karma triggers them. If your Karma is good you sail through them. If your mojo is bad you get stopped at every one.

Seriously, the sensor loops that are embedded in the pavement react to metallic mass. It might be they are seeing your batteries or there's enough metal in your bike.

Tom
I've heard of the metal mass theory. I know the more mass, the better the chance of triggering the stop light.

But what about these little magnets that they sell for motorcycles that are supposed to help trigger the light. I'm thinking if this little magnet can trigger the light, the big magnets in my rear wheel probably are even better at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Stone-Traffic-Trigger-Motorcycles/dp/B00E4YS3FC

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i guess it's possible. i read somewhere that any device that can trigger a stoplight is illegal. but if your bike itself does it, you win.

when i took my M1 test i was told to stop on the outer seam of the ground sensor, to the left or the right of the lane instead of the middle of the lane.

in california, all new streets and new construction is supposed to allow bicycles to trigger the sensors, but i haven't found that to be true.

there's also a law here that after one complete light cycle you can run the light if it doesn't change for you.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mine does not trigger them, i am going to try what you are saying bairdco going to left and right of the lane, god knows i have plenty of time to move from side to side. hopefully it works, i usually have to wait for a car to come behind me for the light to change and the road i have to cross is blind to see what is coming and they fly down the road and it would be certain death if i run it

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
mine does not trigger them, i am going to try what you are saying bairdco going to left and right of the lane, god knows i have plenty of time to move from side to side. hopefully it works, i usually have to wait for a car to come behind me for the light to change and the road i have to cross is blind to see what is coming and they fly down the road and it would be certain death if i run it
Usually the trigger loop is a big rectangle about the size of a car. When you stop left or right of the center of the lane that puts you more directly on top of the wire. That's what I've always tried to do in the past, with limited results.

Because of the lack of sensing on the part of the traffic light, I've come to adopt a riding style where I wait less and less time before deciding to run the light. Now if there's no cars coming, it's down to about 2 seconds. "The light wouldn't change for me officer."

That's one of the reasons I ask if anyone else is noticing the same thing on their electric's. I prefer to just run it, but if my bike is going to change the light that's kind of a pita lol.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bairdco is correct about stopping close to the edge of the loop sensor. They are more sensitive there. The problem is at some intersections the cut line where the loop is buried has been paved over and you can't see exactly where the loop is. In that case move to the left or right of center. You'll at least be closer to the sensor.

The loop sensitivity is adjustable. It might be that if you make a call to the right folks they can adjust the loop to react to your bike. But that's a long shot, unless you know somebody who knows somebody.

And don't you hate to get behind a driver who stops too far back and doesn't trip the sensor. You sit through one missed left turn light then lay on the horn. I've gone so far as to get out of my car, walk up to the moron and tell them they have to pull forward a few feet to tell the light that they're there. Had one refuse and four cars behind me and I managed to get around him and made our left turn. The idiot was still sitting there waiting for the green arrow.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The wire that is imbedded into the pavement is a hall effect sensor. Metal passing over it changes it's inductance. A short and crude description: Hall effect sensors are weak field strength electromagnets.
If you are having trouble tripping stoplights, find a powerful magnet such as one salvaged from a dead computer hard drive. Attach the magnet to one of your pedals with zip-ty's or whatever you want, so long as it is secure. When you come to a stop light pace the pedal with the magnet down low to the pavement directly over the sensor wire in the road bed.
Problem solved for $5 or free, depending on weather you had to buy the magnet or salvage it yourself.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've always noticed that none of my motorcycles ever can make the stop lights change. Now it seems like my electric bicycle is more able to trigger the lights.

Has anyone noticed this?

I'm thinking electric bicycles must have a strong electric field that can trigger the lights.
I've come to the conclusion that, at least my electric bike is in fact capable of triggering stop lights. Now that I'm paying attention, I can't seem to even find a stop light that doesn't change when I pull up on top of the loop.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I would think it would make them trigger green because the sensors embedded in the intersections are used to make empty lanes that are red turn green when a car arrives. The neodymium magnets in the motor could probably do this if they are selling a "magnetic stone" lol to make traffic lights acknowledge aluminum or light motorcycles.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I may have found three now that won't trigger. Two of them took too long so I had to run them, but the third one changed twice for the crossing street while I waited, so I know it didn't recognize me.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've now come to the conclusion the answer is yes, and no. I think an electric bicycle does trigger stop light a little better than most other bikes, but I've found a lot of lights that just don't seem to care lol. I put the added ability at only about 15-20 % higher.