Short vid of my Bomber in traffic

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Was going a little over 50 mph around 0:35
At 0:45 I went over railroad tracks going over 45 mph.
Most of the cars are doing about 45 mph
Really I almost never ride this fast, because it cuts down on the range too much, but this was a short ride in my local hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hanNkjR50Ig

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
darn you bikenut now i really want a stealth bomber electric bicycle. i hope you pretend you are pedaling, i can imagine the looks on those people faces as you pass them. great video, what camera did you use?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
darn you bikenut now i really want a stealth bomber electric bicycle. i hope you pretend you are pedaling, i can imagine the looks on those people faces as you pass them. great video, what camera did you use?
I don't think you better get one Paul, you'd be from one end of your little island to the other in lick idly split. Then you'd be wanting to move to a bigger island next.

Normally I always pedal, but in this vid I wasn't very much. I only rode about 11 miles to make this, and used 9 ah of battery. The camera is my old genII gopro, in this case mounted on the handle bars.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That was awesome biknut!

If I could ride like that for 50 miles or more between charges, and not spend more than $2500 to do it, the bike would be my everyday ride.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That was awesome biknut!

If I could ride like that for 50 miles or more between charges, and not spend more than $2500 to do it, the bike would be my everyday ride.
I don't want to give the wrong impression. At those speeds my range is more like 25 miles. Lets face reality, if you need to go this fast you should get a motorcycle. This vid just demonstrates how versatile an electric bicycle can be. I didn't show it riding at bicycle speed, because everyone thinks that's boring, but it really is fun to ride even going slow.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't want to give the wrong impression. At those speeds my range is more like 25 miles. Lets face reality, if you need to go this fast you should get a motorcycle. This vid just demonstrates how versatile an electric bicycle can be. I didn't show it riding at bicycle speed, because everyone thinks that's boring, but it really is fun to ride even going slow.
Yes, I completely agree with you.
But I want to have my cake and eat it too!
Is that asking too much?

With today's technology.... yes.... sadly...

But I can still dream!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, your muffler is really quiet! :)

Cool vid. That had to make some folks sit up and take notice.
Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Too fast for Mayberry, USA. I get skeared iffin I hits 25. If God
wanted bicycles to go 50, he'd a given them wings.

reddd

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Wow, your muffler is really quiet! :)

Cool vid. That had to make some folks sit up and take notice.
Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I hope that will be the case. The hard part is trying to only show it to the right people. That's what I try to do here.

I hope this video helps counteract the pervasive negative attitude so many of us have. I used to be a electric basher, so I'm not going to lecture anyone.

In this video I'm trying to show what's hard to know without actually riding a fast electric motor bicycle first. Now that I've shown it you, you have to decide if it's real. If it's real, then the bs must be false. You decide.

This is the bs

1. electrics are slow
2. electrics don't go far enough
3. electrics cost too much

A lot of people will be needing to change their thinking soon.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Say yeah I agree butt you got $10,000 into that baby?!

What do you think it will cost me to duplicate that drive train? I got a good bike here to put it in.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Say yeah I agree butt you got $10,000 into that baby?!

What do you think it will cost me to duplicate that drive train? I got a good bike here to put it in.
I think Stealth sells these motors for about $700, and the controller is around $250.

No one really needs a motor bicycle that goes as fast as this thing. This is over kill to the highest degree. Knowing what I know now, I could have been happy with a 30 mph electric bicycle, and even factory bikes like that can be had for under $4000. Besides that, expect prices to start dropping as sales pick up.

What I didn't realize before buying the Bomber is how much different the electric experience is. I was basing everything on the way china girls run. All my china girls will do about 40, so I thought I would need to be that fast to find any happiness. The problem with that thinking is it doesn't take into account the superior power delivery, and ride characteristics of electrics.

A china girl might do 40, but try doing it for a few miles without breaking down, or watching your engine fall off the bike because it just broke every fastener on it from vibration. The real effective riding speed of a china girl is less than 30 if you want any kind of dependability, or longevity. Most china girls have very little acceleration at any speed, especially if you gear it high enough to ride comfortably at 30.

Electrics otoh are vibration free, silent, and clean running. They charge off the line to top speed. They don't have a powerband, they just have full power all the time. In the city a 40 mph china girl would be struggling to keep up with a 30 mph electric.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
That's 5+ hp., awesome, but even if I had it, I couldn't afford the
batteries. I understand the Japanese are developing a non-lithium,
cotton based battery for the Prius. This technology will hopefully
cut battery cost to a fraction of current prices. It's supposed to also
charge faster & last longer.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's 5+ hp., awesome, but even if I had it, I couldn't afford the
batteries. I understand the Japanese are developing a non-lithium,
cotton based battery for the Prius. This technology will hopefully
cut battery cost to a fraction of current prices. It's supposed to also
charge faster & last longer.
These are the early days of electrics. Remember when the first flat screen TV's were $10,000?

I have no doubt electrics will take the world by storm. They really are that much better. People just don't yet know about them, but that's changing rapidly now. With volume will come lower prices.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I'm all for it if they become affordable. Right now lithium tech
is not only expensive, but also manufacture carries a large carbon
footprint