New Jersey...My question is:

GoldenMotor.com

fbn135

Jan 31, 2014
New Jersey
Has anyone here managed to build, title, license, and register a motorized bicycle in the state of New Jersey? I sure would like to do just that. I know what constitutes a legal moped in this state and I would build it in accordance with those rules. The problem is there doesn't seem to be any provisions for anything that you build from scratch. Any help in this area would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Larry

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I would imagine that New Jersey is just like the other 49 states. Build it, pass an inspection by your DMV and apply for a title.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Massdrive, all of the states don't require DMV inspection, and I think it's over the top. I can see a requirement for rudimentary lights, 2 brakes, roadworthy tires, etc, but if you don't have them you will be found out sooner or later. After all, the unsafe bike builders tend to be the hot doggers. I think the inspection is prone to scope creep, with the form built by a committee of bureaucrats vying for more and more check items. I'm glad we don't do it here in St. Louis.

As for a title, also not required in St. Louis. These machines are based on bikes, so do we all keep records back to the original buyer of the new bike? Not a rhetorical question. I do, but no idea what you all do. And for that matter, what do the build from scratchers do? That's a legitimate - actually admirable - activity, but they would have a real problem with a title. I like the Cal tag idea, but "title"?

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
With respect, fbn135's question is; "has anyone here managed to build, title, license, and register a motorized bicycle in the state of New Jersey?" Not the State of Missouri.
Most states (including Missouri) have similar laws regarding motorized bicycles and/or mopeds. So if fbn135s' bike is 50cc or less, not more than 3 hp, has 2 or 3 wheels, and has a top speed of not more than 30mph the bike is not required to be titled or inspected by the dmv or police dept. in New Jersey. However the bike can be registered if desired. After passing the safety inspection fnb135 can than apply for a title and after receiving said title the bike can be registered with the State of New Jersey.

Again the question is; "has anyone here managed to build, title, license, and register a motorized bicycle in the state of New Jersey?" Not, "do I need a registration in the State of Missouri?". Should the bike be registered? That is a matter of personal choice...
My advise... Just ride it!

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Massdrive, don't think I jacked the thread. I was just trying to correct your "49 states" assertion. Missouri, as one of those other "49 states" does not, in fact, have the requirements you said they had, specifically DMV inspection and title. The remaining editorial comments were admittedly not part of the thread start, but I don't really think I was breaking thread etiquette by making them.

Another digression that I also don't think is thread jacking. On the "other" thread, a forum member named loquin keeps a comprehensive set of links on motor assisted bicycle rules and regs in all of the states and (I believe) some territories. Certainly a big variety of them, so it might be worth your while to check them out, re, that "other 49 states" comment you "imagined".

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
The newbe asked a question and I responded with a generic sort of answer stating that it can be registered and how to go about doing it, not that it must be registered...
As it turns out all 50 states have laws that define and govern motorized bicycles. Including Missouri. In fact Missouri law is the same as New Jersey law concerning the use of motorized bicycles. This comes directly from the Missouri State Highway Patrol
http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Root/mopedsAndScooters.html:
"A motorized bicycle is defined as any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with cylinder capacity of not more than 50 cubic centimeters, which produces less than three gross brake horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 mph on level ground. Missouri law states that motorized bicycles, commonly referred to as scooters, can be operated on public streets and highways if the driver holds a valid license. If your child can't legally drive a car, he can't drive a motorized bicycle on the road."
And there is more:
"Motorized bicycles and mini-motorcycles that have a motor with a cylinder capacity of more than 50cc and/or the ability to travel faster than 30 mph on level ground are--by law--defined as motorcycles. As such, these types of vehicles must abide by all of the state laws pertaining to motorcycles."

It doesn't matter what state you live in, if you want your bike registered it must pass a safety inspection and be titled. It doesn't matter if it is a motorized bicycle or a MC or a car or truck. If it does not have a title and you want it registered it must pass a vehicle safety inspection according to specific state laws. Again "if you want your bike registered"...

So maybe you should take your own advise and check out loquin's comprehensive list and try not to "imagine" yourself as such an authority on the subject. Maybe some of that "big oil" has gone to your "big head". Sorry that was rude. Oh yea, you were rude so I don't care...
.flg.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Massdrive, you kind of made my case. NO mention of DMV inspection and/or title, per your "imaginings". Your words, not mine. The "there is more" is for >50cc vehicles, which, I think we agree, are NOT motor assisted bicycles. motor assisted bicycles were, after all, the topic of this thread. I would say, "good try", but not really.

Sorry for any "imagined" rudeness, but go ahead and vent on this forum, as far as I'm concerned. Better here than on friends and family.....

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Massdrive, let me put it another way. In Missouri, and I would guess in many other of your referenced 49 states, there is NO way to build, title, license,and register, a homemade motor assisted bicycle, as defined in Missouri and almost everywhere else (the subject of the thread). Even if you wanted to, which I'm sure most of us don't. There are Catch 22 requirements, such as bills of sale, emissions tests, etc., that preclude it. If anyone in Missouri has done so, I will admit my mistake.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
You are missing the point. All 50 states have similar laws governing the definition and use of motorized bicycles. I ride a 66cc motorized bicycle. Yes it is a motorized bicycle because it is a bicycle with an engine. Is it a moped? No not technically. Is it a scooter? No not technically. Is it a motorcycle? No not technically. Is it registered? No. Can I register it? Yes. I have titled motocross bikes, endure bikes, dune buggies and other types of OHV's I've received builder titles for cars and trucks too. The bottom line here is that fnb135 can register his bike if he chooses too and if he does it will require a VSI.

What is your problem anyway??? Never mind I don't want to know... I'm done with this thread.

fbn135

Jan 31, 2014
New Jersey
I sure did not mean to cause any problems here. From everything that I have been able to find out here in the state of NJ there is no way to legally ride a motorized bike. The "moped" must be on a approved list, must be registered, and there are no provisions to build one and have it inspected. I was hoping to have someone tell me that I am wrong and that they had found out a way to do it.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Not at all, fbn135, and it's 2 bad a simple comment correction got so red. Your question was a good 1, and FU have 2 go 2 these lengths in NJ 2 ride a legal motor assisted bicycle (I confess 2 not researching this 4 your state), then that's a drag. The main take aways R (1) big differences between state regs, and (2) the regs can B found, as U have apparently done, successfully.

Repeating, REALLY a drag. I ride around south St. Louis with impunity. My main destination, the S. St. Louis YMCA, is directly across the street from our big police station, and IM passed and eyed all the time by the St. Louis laws. No pull overs, no second glances.... Of course they have bigger fish 2 fry, as we often beat out Newark 4 the "most dangerous city" title.....

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
fbn135 -

I have been trying to do this legally in NJ for over 3 months only to be roadblocked every time. I went to Trenton and they said I have two options:

1. Fill out the Specialty Constructed Vehicle form, provide all receipts, part numbers, etc, etc and cross your fingers
2. Go to the municipality where you reside and see what they have to say.

Neither is doable because you still need EPA and NHTSA approved parts on the vehicle. I'm totally stuck, frustrated and about to just about to toss in the towel. I can't seem to find a way around this other than just riding it and playing dumb if I get pulled over.

And the best part is ... I can get this thing insured for $78 a year. WTF ...

fbn135

Jan 31, 2014
New Jersey
Hi Big-H,

I was just about to post my newest info when I saw your post. Last Thursday I went to the DMV in Newton NJ. I spoke to the supervisor of registrations and told her the story of my proposed motorized bike build. Under 50CC's (48.8), under 1.5 HP (1.47), working pedals, and would not exceed 25MPH. She told me the usual bullcrap that I had been hearing forever. If it doesn't have a vin ect, ect. But, she was very nice and said she would contact Trenton and get me a reading and give me a call the next day. I heard nothing on Friday and thought that was the end of it. To my amazement she called me on Saturday and really shocked me. She said the boss in Trenton researched all the applicable laws and guess what? There is no NJ State law that covers what we want to do!!!! She told me that unless the municipality that I live in has a regulation against it I was free to build and ride my bike obeying the laws for a non-motorized bicycle. She added that I should keep current on NJ laws because there is no telling when they will implement something that would affect our status. I am going to start my build next week. Hope this will help.... FBN

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
FBN -
Thanks for the info! This is awesome! Did you get any of this in writing through an email or something of the sort?

I'm in the New Bruns area and I already called the surrounding municipalities and was told that the motorized bike falls under NJ Title #39
(which can be found here): http://www.njlawman.com/new-jersey-traffic-laws/new-jersey-traffic-laws.htm

If I were to get that what they told you in writing and have this thing insured on top of that I think I would be ok. What's everyone's tough on that?