New Maryland Moped-Scooter Law

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Today I got my required liability insurance ($75) and headed to the MVA to get the newly required sticker for my Motorbike. It appears to me that MB's fit the description of Moped in the law so I plan to comply until I find out otherwise.

I stood in line for a bit and when I got to the information desk and told them why I was there I got a long pause from the receptionist. I told them I had tried to get the sticker online last night and the site was unavailable so I took time off work to do it in person. They informed me that they also are not up and running on this process. October 1 the new law goes into effect. Go figure!
Dan

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Will you be using the bicycle's serial number for a VIN number ?
I'm really not clear on what documentation we will be required to have.

Title?

Is the sticker considered a registration ?

I am certainly interested on any information you have.
I know a helmet and valid Md drivers license is required, but other than that I am in the dark. I have this link to current Maryland moped laws but this is old news.

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/agencies/police/atvsfaq.html

TiM

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I'm in the same boat. There's a form on the MVA for applying for a VIN number. But many MVA people see it as a customized bike.

I'll be getting the insurance this week. If anyone is able to get a registration sticker, please let us know what is needed!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tim, I'm fairly sure I read a news article stating that if you applied for the sticker before 10/1 the Vin# requirement would be waived. I went prepared with the bicycle serial# and proof of insurance. I can't imagine there is a title involved, but we'll see. It's just another Maryland money grab in my opinion.
Dan

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sounds like the powers that be don't know what they're doing. I wonder what the situation would be for someone out of state who happens to be riding a motored bike in Maryland. Then what?
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Today I got my required liability insurance ($75) and headed to the MVA to get the newly required sticker for my Motorbike. It appears to me that MB's fit the description of Moped in the law so I plan to comply until I find out otherwise.

I stood in line for a bit and when I got to the information desk and told them why I was there I got a long pause from the receptionist. I told them I had tried to get the sticker online last night and the site was unavailable so I took time off work to do it in person. They informed me that they also are not up and running on this process. October 1 the new law goes into effect. Go figure!
Dan
Dan, update please? Any luck getting your decals, I'd suggest telling them that it is a moped as well.

From the Maryland MVA website this what I've found:

Title and/or Decals for Mopeds, Motor Scooters and Off Road Vehicles
To process a title or decal you must have a license or ID on file with the MVA, a valid VIN or serial number and PIN or last 4 digits of Social Security Number. If the vehicle is already titled in your name you may purchase a decal only. If the vehicle is previously titled, you will need to go to an Electronic Registration & Titling (ERT) participant to have the title transferred to your name. To see a complete list of ERT participants, please click here. If the vehicle is already titled in your name, you may purchase a decal only.

Check payments require the following information:

Bank Routing Number
Checking Account Number
Maryland Driver’s License Number
Date of Birth

Money Orders and Travelers Checks are not accepted.

Note: Decal and title will be mailed.
Post office will not forward MVA mail. If necessary go to Change of Address before continuing.

If you would like an electronic confirmation of your order, you must enter a valid email address.

Page# 2.

Title and/or Decals for Mopeds, Motor Scooter and Off Road Vehicles

Please choose a product to purchase:

Choice #1 Title & Decal
Choice #2 Decal only

If you are applying for a title and decal, you will need to have a valid VIN or serial number to continue. If you do not have a VIN or serial number, please visit a MVA full service office to obtain a VIN. Click here to obtain the MVA form to apply for a VIN.

I went MVA office today, and was also told they are not ready to issue decals!

C.H.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
CH, I found what you say to be true. Obviously I have no VIN# on record so I have to apply for one. There is a form for that available on line I believe so I'm gonna download it, fill it out and wait to find out when I can get a sticker here in Frederick. A recent article here said the state feels this will cut down on the number of scooter/moped thefts. I think they just see another revenue stream and I don't want the "state" to worry about my MB, I'll handle that.
Dan

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Finally heard back from the MVA:

these are the three documents we all need to fill out:

Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-198.pdf

Affidavit of Ownership – Moped, Motor Scooter & Off Road Vehicle
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-450.pdf

Application for Title Decal for Mopeds, Motor Scooters, ATVs, Off-Road Motorcycles and Snowmobiles
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-337.pdf

I'm not sure what I'm going to put for the second form. I got the bike from a thrift store for 25 bucks about 6 years ago.

IINoxiousII

May 10, 2012
MD
What a pain. I was on Campus at UMD when they were making the announcement for local TV's. I think kids on campus have been abusing the laws, crashing, and horsing around on their scooters so they figured they'd create regulations and protect those who were injured or damaged.

Thanks for the forms littletinman.

I have been passing cops on the way to and from school and work and none have paid me any mind.... yet. I think this may have been more for campus students than anyone else, but it's only a matter of time before it spreads the streets. I'll be heading out to the MVA on Friday. I'll keep you all posted.
P

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks for the forms LTM. I just filled them out and will give it a go when I have time. Good luck at the MVA and let us know how it goes. I am taking a picture just for laughs.
Dan

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
What did you fill in for year and make? I don't have a year for my bike. Do we just guess?

I'm so close to just risking not going through this hole stupid process. But, I feel like having a bike I can't get hassled for will be in my favor at some point down the road.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I'm laughing now. I took all three forms in and filled them out and was done in a half hour. It only cost $5 and they were pretty nice about it. I went to the MVA off clopper rd.

I registered as a moped and my year and model info were based on the original bike I had it on. I got a small vin plate for my bike frame, and a decal. For $5, that was totally worth it. Now I can literally ride anywhere accept the highway and be 100% legal (according to the Lady at the MVA).

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Anyone have any idea how to mount this sticker? The lady said it just needed to be on the exterior and visible. Not necessarily on the back. It's about 4 by 4 inches in size. I'm thinking like on a metal plate right below the seat or event hanging from the back of the seat. It's an awkward square size.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Congrats ltm. Hope it's that easy here in Frederick and yep, hang it on a piece of tin. Your a tinman right?
Dan