Ruined by an electric bike...

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...an excerpt from: Mongo, 48v 1000w 'Magic Pie' hub on a Mongoose 'Snarl'

Just Wanderings...

It's all I seem to do any more, tools laying unused & dusty in the shop with my other bikes forlorn in the corner - every day I find myself on this b'danged electric bike again, seeking yet another road to ride, a sight to see, a place I've not been yet...

Not that I'm complaining mind - it is after all why I love these things, I just find it a touch odd that my tinkerin' urge has evaporated much like that last gallon of two stroke fuel I was saving just in case... I suspect it was purloined, usurped by the weedwacker, stranger still that I just don't care...

No matter, the summer season is short hereabouts & it's prolly best to just enjoy it, the hum of the tires rolling away the stress, the simple serenity & silence soothing, the only care in the world the odometer, the idle wonder where I'll charge up this time.

Seems I've taken up a habit lol, every day I just cruise - no particular where & distance dictated only by the battery reserve. During the work week & on my way back from the wage slave toil & tedium, time and again I simply watch as I miss my turn & ride on right past my house... I meant to stop, I meant to go home - or at least I thought I did, didn't I? Whatever, what's another twenty miles or more, a few more hours whiled away?

Then suddenly, it's the weekend again. Somewhat surprised by this turn of events I'll wash the bike, maybe lube the chain & cables and I'm out of things to do save ride again. All the day mine I actually plan ahead, give some thought about what I'll do - if only to be sure to be able to ride ever more, a little farther this time... I seem to be getting pretty good at timing my midday rest, grabbing a bite to eat & just sitting in the shade, both the batteries & I recharging, just another twenty to thirty miles down & another twenty or more waiting... where exactly I s'pose we'll see when we get there.

Sometimes I'll actually remember to take a few pictures... while rolling along just soaking in the sun, musing about nothing at all something interesting will catch my eye & sad to say - it's not uncommon that I'll get a mile or more down the road before I remember I've a camera in my pocket, that words alone won't suffice to share these sights, that I should stop, go back & shoot a shot, to save that moment - even if only to show the where, the why I'm not doing anything but wandering lol

So here's a glimpse of my past weekend of nothing at all heh;

Bachelor chow run, it must be done - a little surprised at the most bikes I've ever seen parked there, a whole two others besides mine;

Groceries gotten & rid of, I head downtown to find some holiday brouhaha just starting to unfold;

Garbbin' some Thai food to fill the belly, I'm nearly attacked by a 40' dragon! Backing off & standing still it passes me by (they can't see you if you don't move);

Enough of this metropolitan madness & mayhem - I flee in terror, seeking the restful rural roads for some twisty, hilly goodness;

Perhaps I've gone too far again? My street tires, these semi-slicks find this lack of asphalt disturbing;

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A farmer with a pair of oxen grading the road? Yea... I've defo escaped any semblance of "urban" fuss & traffic;

Wherever I go, no matter how far out in the sticks, there always seems to be some turkeys gossiping & plotting against me;

Hmm... a house on a lost little cove... somewhere... I wonder how to get there, then I wonder where I am, where "here" is for that matter;

Yay! I find the road back home, or at least I think it is... it looks familiar, it's headed in the right direction anyway so close e'nuff I figure;

...and ofc the obligatory shot of the trusty steed;

....aaaand rinse & repeat lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am with you ba. i wanted an electric bicycle just because they fascinate me. have had 2 and 4 strokes and living in a condo on the ocean was not practical because parking outside is not an option with the constant salt blasts. now that i have one i think they are awesome and it wouldnt matter where i lived i would have one. only maintnence i do is to the bicycle itself like waxing the chain and cleaning the bike. cant think of anything else lol. all the time i used to spend tightning bolts, chains and modifications to make things work properly ect i can now spend rideing. the quite is what i like the best. can just cruise around the island enjoying the sights and sounds of the caribbean on a nice reliable bike. i dont think i was ruined by electric rather i was reborn. i really was sick of having to work on the gas bike everytime i rode it. this one i get home and put on the charger and not worry about it . now i can enjoy the ride instead of worrying about what i would need to fix next

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very much enjoyed the post and photos. The riding is so much fun. For me a ride through the forest always clears my mind and I often notice a smile has found a home as I ride along. Focusing on the unwinding road as it reveals itself, I find myself in a state of no thought, just being. So it is like a moving meditation, a moving prayer and is a kind of cleansing of spirit. Not always, but usually, which is why I go for rides so often. My brother sees me come and go past his little cabin and I suspect wonders why I am so often going nowhere in particular, just going. It is hard to understand without experiencing the rewards.

It as occurred to me that the spinning wheels of my bike are like Tibetan prayer wheels, spinning and they they are also mandalas with their spokes radiating like rays of the sun. For the American Indian the circle is a kind of sacred geometry and is a motif in Indian art as it is a reminder of the sacred hoop of life (biimaadiziiwin... the "circle of life"). It is the shape of rain drops, birds nests, the tepee and wigwam, grandmother moon (nookoomisinaan) and grandfather sun (nimishoomisinaan) and of our earth, the great spirit's garden (giidaakiiminaan). And so the spinning wheels suggest many things to me.

In another time we would have been riding horses instead of bicycles. Some of us would want to race them to see whose was the fastest or whose is the best war pony, or whose pony has the greatest endurance. And we would have decorated the bridle and perhaps placed a painted hand print on its shoulder saying "this is my pony". Today it is an iron horse, but I suspect our pleasure and pride in our rides is much the same as it would be were our bikes flesh and blood Indian ponies.

Interesting to me that I used to raise Indian ponies and made my own tack of harness leather decorated with beadwork. And also interesting for me to realize that back then when I was a younger man, riding through the forest gave great pleasure of different kinds... the rush of riding like the wind and the meditative slow walk, being one with my ride.

So I guess today my pony has wheels and instead of muscles there is an engine with gasoline instead of blood. All that is the same is me riding along with a smile. Thanks for sharing, my friend.
SB

Bikeaholic

May 9, 2012
FLA
I have 2 elec bikes and think they are excellent as secondary transportation. Range is about 18 to 20 miles, top speed about 28 to 30 mph with a 48 volt lithium pack.
It's quiet and stealthy. You can hardly tell it's motorized. One difference between gas and electric is that with gas you can hop from city to city and quickly refuel. Go across the whole country, too. EV's (e-bikes, cars etc.) presently lack this option. Recharging takes time and charging locations are limited or unknown

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like being ruined so much, I deceided to ruin myself again - :)

No noise, no stink, no vibration, no fumes.

And no heavy clunky hot DOT helmet either.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am definately ruined, i have both a smart pie and magic pie electric motors and they are nothing but pure fun. i am with you mike, no noise or vibration and the fast acceleration are just good ole fashion fun. takes no time to set one up and i can switch out motors and wheels in a couple of minutes, dance1

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
This weekend I am going to ride all the gas bikes again. Just to lose the spiders and lube the seals. Then I think I'll start putting them up for sale.

Except for the Solex. I just love that thing - :)

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
BarelyAwake,you are a true wordsmith. That made me want to go ride!

I personally don't feel at peace unless I'm on a bicycle. I've always been able to ride long distances (40-50 miles) so it was easy to get lost in the rolling hum of the pavement.

Now I just need a couple 'pies' for that electric feeling.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks all - instead of babbling on, I figured I'd jus' post a coupla more pics & let them do the talkin' this time... Sorry Velo, no moose or lobsters tho lol

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cool setup!
I've been gas powered for awhile but & am interested in going electric (or a hybrid of the two). I'm sure the stealth & torque would be a hoot.
About how much does it cost to get a setup like this?
-Magic pie 26" rear wheel
-Best battery available
-Charger/controller/throttle
Thanks,
-Lowracer-