The Future Of Two Strokes

GoldenMotor.com

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just read that whole article, understood about a tenth of it but it's a cool read and seems exciting that there is least some positive movements in the two stroke. Thanks for the link. I was tempted to leave a message linking to discussions over here, but I thought maybe you guys would better suited.

Interesting take aways for me was the emphasis on ignition timing for two stroke efficiency (thinking of the roll your own cdi thread), and the irony in the two stroke mix that gas is a solvent that washes away oil in the main bearings, so why not keep gas outta there and less oil will be wasted.

No mention of using oils like amsoil and opti-2, or the use of alternate fuels like ethanol, butanol etc.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have built several 2 stroke Chinagirl MB's and two 4 stroke, 49 cc HS and 99 cc Predator MB's.

Once you drive 4 stroke MB's, you will have much less desire to drive the 2 stroke ones.

The throaty sound, the low end torque, the way better fuel economy, the lost hassle of mixing fuel, the reliability and longivity, tha lack of stinky exhaust, are all reasons that make me like the current 4 stroke MB engines better than the Chinagirls.

Yes, the Chinagirls are closer to plug and play as far as installing, but I find the extra effort required for the 4 strokes well worth the investment of a little more time and money.

Last edited:

huffy80

Somebody is going to say that fuel consumption and exhaust emissions are too high. But wait! Is anybody screaming about the fuel consumption of Formula-One cars? Does anybody care about NOx emissions in NASCAR? Why is the racing two-stroke going away? A lot of people blame the government. But the 'EPA ban' on two-strokes is a myth. The EPA has said over and over that their regulations can be met by four-stroke and fuel-injected two-stroke engines.

The problem is: there are no fuel-injected two-stroke motorcycle engines in production. (I'm ignoring a few scooters.) So we have to look first at the fuel-injected two-stroke engines made for other applications, which could be adapted to motor bikes.

huffy80

For 2009, there is the Ski Doo 600 E-tec (do a Google, and you will find pics and details). So let's imagine that we wanted to build a killer Motorized bike. One half of that Ski Doo motor would give us a 300-cc, single-cylinder motor with 60-hp. It would have lower exhaust emissions and lower fuel consumption than any four-stroke of equal performance. And, of course, it would still be a simple, compact, light, easy-to-maintain two-stroke. All the real engineering has already been done - it works, the parts are in production.