First motorized bicycle and its a trike!

GoldenMotor.com

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011
west side of canada on a rock
Hi guys, built this trike about two years ago. I've decide to motorize it with a pocket bike motor. Its going to be a FD set up, still working out the bugs but hopefully it works. Question for you FD guys what's the purpose of having a clutch? Is it only for a non centrifugal clutch set up? My set up has a centrifugal clutch and trans, cvt, not sure exactly what it has?

Last edited:

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011
Re: First MB and its a trike!

Here's my latest score, two 1970 motobecanes. I would really like to mount one of the front ends to my trike. I'm pretty sure the head tube and bearing are the same. But the head tube on the trike is 1" too short. So what are my options? weld ( don't have a welder and i've never welded) brazing (haven't brazed but willing to give it a shot.) Any ideas on how to go about doing this?

thx

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

The auto clutch will be fine if you assist it well on take off. The disadvantage is, it and the reduction move the engine well away from the wheel. I had to lengthen the steer tube on my last build. I cut it in half at the mid point. I then turned tube to be an easy hammer fit into the steer tube, then set the length I wanted and welded it. If you dont weld or braze I dont think I would experiment on this particular mod. Best left to some one experienced. This is a part you dont want to fail!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

I see that you hafe a 5-1 ratio gearbox on there. That roller diameter you have works well with direct drive with no reduction.
Your top speed with that roller/box will only be about 5-6 mph.

Good thing is, that you could use a much larger roller, like 6" or so, and greatly increase the efficency of the drive. maybe a small tire for a roller?
Do the math with a ratio calculator, so you won't have to re-do the install.

The cent clutch is a plus, you can start/stop without having to lift the motor.

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

Thanks guys for the feedback. I should have posted this first cause i'm pretty much done and was going to test today. Now i'm limited with the roller being permanently mounted. Tried the calculator but its not working for me. The wheel dia. is 11 3/4" and roller is 1 1/2". Not sure what rpm this motor will do? 5-6mph that's not good at all i was hoping for 20mph. So does the 5:1gearbox actually limit the motor like a Governor?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

The gear box has limited the final rpm to the roller, by reduction. If the engine turned 9K, the roller is turning 1800 rpm(5:1). Using these figures it would top at 8mph similar to Waynes calcs. A 4" roller will get 21mph. Waynes 6" would get 32mph. These figures are just ideas as we dont know your engines top rpm. A 5" might be a good compromise

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

I Appreciate all your help. Can one bolt a roller directly to the fly wheel? With the gearbox off the clutch shoes bolt directly to the fly wheel. Thinking i could bolt the roller to a piece of metal then bolt it up like the shoes.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

Might be wrong, but I think one of the transmisson vendors(EZM?) sells an adaptor for their tranny that may help you with that. Mebby somebody else knows more and can chime in.

No way that you can use a larger roller and keep the gearbox? Or use a sprocket or belt drive on the front wheel?

Last edited:

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

Might be wrong, but I think one of the transmisson vendors(EZM?) sells an adaptor for their tranny that may help you with that. Mebby somebody else knows more and can chime in.

No way that you can use a larger roller and keep the gearbox? Or use a sprocket or belt drive on the front wheel?
No luck finding the tranny adaptor your taking about. Don't really know what i'm looking for?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Appreciate all your help. Can one bolt a roller directly to the fly wheel? With the gearbox off the clutch shoes bolt directly to the fly wheel. Thinking i could bolt the roller to a piece of metal then bolt it up like the shoes.

So this idea was a complete fail! just wobbled bad. my only option is to try and mount a bigger wheel to my roller. I have a kids training wheel that i cut a hole for the 1.5 roller, now i need a way to attach it?

thx

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Plenty of great comments to keep you busy... I'll take a different tack...

Once you find yourself under power, motivating at speeds not yet seen with pedal power, you might wish your seat was lower so the center of gravity was not so high.

When trikes flip, they don't seem to throw you clear and land right on top of you. ...Yah, that's personal experience.
rc

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas

Welcome to the Forum. :) Red have you ever checked out the value of those Mo Peds? I would advise that you do before you take a smoke wrench to them. :) Are they complete? Don't be hasty my friend. :)

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

Plenty of great comments to keep you busy... I'll take a different tack...

Once you find yourself under power, motivating at speeds not yet seen with pedal power, you might wish your seat was lower so the center of gravity was not so high.

When trikes flip, they don't seem to throw you clear and land right on top of you. ...Yah, that's personal experience.
rc
Totally appreciate the concern, but i'v been ridding for over 25years now. On one wheel, two, three, four wheels.dnut So far no accidents and no serious injuries, knock on wood! I would love to hear some suggestions on the task at hand...

thx

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

ST is absolutely correct !
That pair of mopeds do have value and there are a lot of folks interested in them. Gosh, I'd like to find such a pair! :)

Try this, instead....

Google ...ebay suspension forks... and you'll get a gazillion hits, including the ebay site. 2nd or third listing on the bay was for a pair of Manitou mtb forks @$30, or some Rock Shox Judy @$9.95.

Almost any suspension fork and widest tire will help!
rc

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

Welcome to the Forum. :) Red have you ever checked out the value of those Mo Peds? I would advise that you do before you take a smoke wrench to them. :) Are they complete? Don't be hasty my friend. :)
LOL! Today decided to break into the peds since i brought them home. You probably would have cringed. Had the grinder out to take the motor out. They are complete minus hand controls.

If anyone on the island needs parts let me know, would trade whole ped and an extra motor, for working motor,new or functional wiring, and hand controls.

thx

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

The wheel appears hollow, so dont know how strong it is, also the plastic is of the type that is hard to get a good bond to. May work fine, wont know until you try. If you can beg or borrow a 4 or 5" hole saw I believe I would make a laminated wood roller. you can thru bolt that with the bolt & nut counter sunk, a gr8 1/4 bolt would certainly drive it. Then fill the bolt holes with a suitable filler. Would also probably bond strongly enough to the metal tube with JB weld.

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

Thats a nice trike: What brand is it?
Thanks man! As to what "brand" i'd have to call it a ratrod or hodgepodge of parts, over a dozen different bikes came together to build the trike.

Here's where the rear end came from, someones planter. (no joke!)

Here's the main frame, was mother in laws. She was hit by a car and stopped riding it.

Last edited:

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011

The wheel appears hollow, so dont know how strong it is, also the plastic is of the type that is hard to get a good bond to. May work fine, wont know until you try. If you can beg or borrow a 4 or 5" hole saw I believe I would make a laminated wood roller. you can thru bolt that with the bolt & nut counter sunk, a gr8 1/4 bolt would certainly drive it. Then fill the bolt holes with a suitable filler. Would also probably bond strongly enough to the metal tube with JB weld.
Thanks again for the input. I did think of the hole saw idea.(Well i think you did?) But i'd have to buy one. The wheel isn't hollow, the voids are staggered from one side to the other.

Going to test tomorrow...