pedal cranks in the way of the motor

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
I've got a 1940 Schwinn that I'm mounting a Starfire motor on. Someone told me that the front sprocket is not orignal, so maybe the crank is not either. Anyway, the cranks hit the engine on both sides. What are some solutions to this.

Thanks in advance.

Rick in Indiana

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Install a wider bottom bracket spindle.....something like this

You may need to get an adapter for that cartridge if your Schwinn has the large bottom bracket shell (which it prolly does), but they're pretty cheap.

dnut

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I just completed a Felt MP build with a HQ Matic 4 stroke and had pedal clearance issues and had thought about using the wide adapter but opted instead to use shorter cranks
(5 1/2") from 6 1/2" long. I then went to bike store to p/u some 1.25" pedal extenders to get the pedals wider, out from under the motor.

Professor_Fate

May 11, 2011
H.B./O.C. Calif
Where can I get a 44t chainring that fits that bottom bracket in the post above? I already have some bent crank arms, but the gear that came with the cup and cone BB
is mounted with a pin and bolt. The BB in the pic above uses a keyway.

nvmextc

Dec 10, 2010
Sydney
My mates bike had the same problem, the crank arms wouldn't clear the engine by a few mm's, so we jus grinded a small portion of metal off the crank arms.