Hand crank Handicapped trike help.. Any Ideas guys?

GoldenMotor.com

Motor Bikes

Feb 16, 2011
AZ
I was contacted recently after a guy saw my news interview on TV. He is a nice guy that has a trike he would like to get some help on. First issue, It is a HAND CRANK.. Second issue. It is a 7 spd in the front hub with hub brakes and a caliper brake too. all in the front. Third issue, the rear wheels are out for a drive train as they are slanted and I can't see any way to replace those hubs with electrics and keep the slant.

Obviously, I can't put a drive motor in line with the main drive chain. He can't take his hands off the cranks as that is how he steers and he would probably get hit in the face. I can't replace the front wheel with a hill climber type kit as he needs to keep the hub brake and hub changing gears.

The ONLY Idea I have so far is to try and put a secondary sprocket on the left side of the front wheel and engage it with a fork mounted electric motor.. I would need a small sprocket for the wheel and a small chain I think..

Take a look at the pictures he sent me and PLEASE ask me any questions and give me ANY and I do mean ANY Ideas you guys have..

He is MAINLY looking for some help going up hills and also as a safety in case he gets out someplace and gets tired and can't crank too well.

Thanks guys,

Mark
Motor Bikes

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Electric push trailer with a throttle that would be one like on an electric bike that must be pedaled to engage the electric power for the motor,That is a tall stance short trike lower speed for control. If the bike pedals backward also may need to be included..crt.

Last edited:

Motor Bikes

Feb 16, 2011
AZ
That is a pretty good Idea. Except the peddle to start option, He wants to peddel un assisted most of the time. and engage motor only as needed. so a simple switch or throttle would work on the stem.
Any leads on where to get the trailer?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
friction drive was my thought but it always is. Thnking electric batteries under the seat. Is much easier to stop and start them. 36volt

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
That is a pretty good Idea. Except the peddle to start option, He wants to peddel un assisted most of the time. and engage motor only as needed. so a simple switch or throttle would work on the stem.
Any leads on where to get the trailer?
I got the controls of an elec bike explained first hand last year and the thing had 3 different power modes (for longer batt life flat land and hill power,and something else besides on/off led lights,and you had to move the pedals to make the power work,not just cruse along) If he can back up w/the pedals the trailer might not work well. The electric motor could be hung above the front tire as a friction drive,or a free-wheel gear on the non cluttered side
.trlrl.:ride:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My evike has the motor and drive rear wheel of a scooter mounted over the wheel. I have one with the motor and wheel inline so that the motor does not change the balance of the bike. It would work perfectly. It has a controller and a throttle. It pulls with or without pedals. I use the pedals rarely and only to climb very steep hills. It ist not all that battery efficient but they say with lithium batteries it would be. I don't know. It is my understanding that if money is no option the motor could be brushless. chain driven while sitting on top of a stanton type roller drivel just a thought

You want at least 700 watts at 36vs i would thing

Last edited:

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
If friction doesn't work, I would try using one of the hub adaptors attached to a freewheel and the drive sprocket. Actuating the throttle would be interesting though. Maybe something wireless.

Or possibly use the original chain with a freewheel bottom (top) bracket.

Either way, most of the components should be available off the shelf with some modification.

Haven't had my coffee yet...now my head hurts.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I was trying to do things with just my hands to see what kind of auxiliary drive system would be best for your customer. Maybe someone offers a friction drive for the front wheel with a pull start and autoclutch. When he gets tired of cranking by hand, he could stop, pull start and gas to go. All the controls sould be located conveniently. Pull start, throttle, choke, ignition switch, etc. The autoclutches have a bearing that allows it to freewheel easily when engaged with little friction to interfere with handcranking. If it was too much, an engaging lever or cable could be applied. I'm totally amazed at the things they can do with just their hands. I'm sure whatever system you decide on, he could manage it.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I have a Bike Bug and you have to engage a lever while cranking to start. May be too difficult, but basically that's also what I had in mind if it had an automatic clutch and pull start.