Another helmet thread

GoldenMotor.com

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
Hey everyone, since I have my first build done I need a helmet... Now< I dont know weather to buy a skull cap style helmet or a full face style helmet, anyone have the pros and cons? Would a full face be overkill? Either way i would buy them off ebay and they both run around $40 shipped. (I like the german style skull caps and the leather ones with goggles, but is this real protection or just a novelty?) Im planning on taking long cruisers around the city and the beach, my bike tops out at around 24 or 25mph if that helps at all.

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
I like full face helmets, but I live in Minnesota, it's cold here. When I was in Vegas I hated how warm a full face helmet gets. I noticed walmart has full face bicycle helmets and I'd like to get one of those. I don't think those leather helmets are more than a novelty. Another local thing is that you aren't required to where a helmet in MN, though you really should.

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
We arnt required here either but I dont want to stop with my face lol, I like my noggin. Maybe one of those full face/bmx/atv helmets is better than a skull cap but not as hot as a full face?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I got a DOT half helmet on ebay just before Christmas for $16 DELIVERED! It's got ear covers that zip on and off, but a face sheild is additional- but it's still pretty heavy, and I have been having a lot of neck stiffness pain.

For the bike, I'm probably still gonna use the old Schwinn hard shell cycling helmet I got at Wal-Mart. Or I have about a 20 year old hard shell cycling that's a little more padded and heavier as well- but not as muchas the newDOT

I bought that because I want to get a scooter, or I may just resell it.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I think one of those full face BMX helmets would be nice. I use a full face motorcycle helmet all winter, it would be real hot down where you are. I like the idea of face protection they add. I guess I could add, "What is your face worth"?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got a Pro-tec skateboard helmet with a bubble visor riveted to it so it looks more motorcycle-y. i've got a pair of russian flight goggles from WW2 and another pair of Bakelight welding goggles from the 50's or something, with clear, dark, and super dark lenses, but the strap was old and crumbled.

i'll probably get a half shell, or find something vintage and cool looking, to go with my vintage and cool looking bikes.

i've also got a 50 pound (feels like it anyway) authentic police riot helmet with a 1/2" thick, clear, full face shield. not too practical for riding around.

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
Here is the walmart helmet I would get. Walmart.com: Xgames Full-Face Helmet, Green: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

In Vegas a full face would be to hot, but I'm back in MN now. Snell approved helmet just to heavy, I have one for autocross and motorcycling but it's very uncomfortable while riding the boardtrack. If you get a half helmet you should get some kind of face mask just in case of road rash it might help.

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
IMO the hard novelty helmets although not as strong as a dot helmet offers more protection than that of a bicycle helmet. which ever you decide upon be sure it has enough coverage to keep your noggin safe the skull caps just seem to be big enough to scoop up the remains of your brains.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is the walmart helmet I would get. Walmart.com: Xgames Full-Face Helmet, Green: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

In Vegas a full face would be to hot, but I'm back in MN now. Snell approved helmet just to heavy, I have one for autocross and motorcycling but it's very uncomfortable while riding the boardtrack. If you get a half helmet you should get some kind of face mask just in case of road rash it might help.
Thats the helmet I use for my helmet cam. It does not fit me very well but it is very light. I think if you are going to go with a full face helmet a BMX helmet is the way to go. They are very light, much lighter then a MC helmet.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I went full face, MX style. I've read stories of people grinding their face and I've seen it on a bicycle rider "no motor". The MX ones keep you cool enough even on hot days and are a big plus on the colder days.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
A full face helmet is definitely an overkill. Most people don't realize the
added weight above your neck can snap your neck on a hard fall. My ex-girl
friend worked in the ER room of two hospitals and she witnessed broken necks
from those heavy full helmets. Their face's looked pretty good though!

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
That's why the full face Bicycle helmet is a nice option, it's overkill and very light. It's just made of foam.