Winter tires?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NOOOOOOOoooo!!!

But... but... riding is too much fun to stop :D

Whereabouts in Maine are you? I'm in the Bath/Brunswick area.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nope - I wish lol Bike Parts yumm :p

Damariscotta eh? Nice... quiet lol About 20mi from me, OMG!!! Another MB whoohoo! I thought I was pretty much alone 'round here - shoulda known better.

Two of the techs at Bath Cycle & Ski have MBs - but apparently they never ride them :( There's "some guy" in Lewiston that is supposedly sellin' them - but he's never answered my emails and I haven't made it there yet.

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ah venturi effect..... i forgot about that causing me grief... ill have to shroud my cylinder to direct heat to the carb body somehow......

my banshees always had the habit of sticking wide open when used to go field blasting in the light powder. thats what it was. hot engine melts snow dust from tires on its way past, venturi effect freezes the carbs like blocks of ice. a real pan in the you know what....

nice observation my friend ;)

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I never get that prob. becuase I've got rear mount-motor also comes with plastic cover-system is designed so that fly wheel has turbine blades that circulate fresh air through cooling fins and also blow air directly into carb air cleaner intake.
My motor runs super great through the winter. :):)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
how about we all just gather at tim hortons after the first major dump around lunchtime and try and go for a "rip" as we call driving anything on that kind of day.

death-ly ishrase we can call it

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
there might be a better thread for this but i couldn't find it. has anyone tried making a track system for the rear will? Ktraks makes one but it's $500. I'm hoping to cut up some old tires and stitch them into a flexible track that runs around my existing rear tire and then around an idler pulley that sticks out a couple feet behind the bike. I've recently moved onto a motorcycle so I want to put my motorized bicycle to good use over the winter.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well the rear of the bike's gonna probably clog up with snow IF you have enough power to rotate all that...I don't know how many HP a snowmobile has but I would think you'd have to at leaste have half as much for a bike. You are also gonna have some massive slippage much like we always hear belt drive folks have in rain. Good luck with it.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
how about we all just gather at tim hortons after the first major dump around lunchtime and try and go for a "rip" as we call driving anything on that kind of day.

death-ly ishrase we can call it
You can't imagine what was goin thru my head when I first read this...lets just say it didn't smell right to me.

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
george_n_texas snow mobiles these days have gobs more power than they need. the 150hp ones they have now do 0-105mph in less than 6 seconds in a drag race. I'm not looking to set any records. The first snowmobiles had 5 hp engines. A cyclist in good shape puts out about .5hp and Ktrak made a track system for mountain bikes that can be pedaled by a person. their system is very similar to what i'm going to attempt. most snow should get dumped since it will be upside down on its return trip to the main wheel. I hope. i'll be happy if i can cruise through the woods at 10 mph. . . but in 6+ inches of snow. . . uphill :)

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
Hi George

Mobile Photobucket
I have the k-trak with a CH80. It is a better ride with the front wheel on it. It even steers better. I was wishing I had just a bit more power. A Moraini would be nice to ride with it. It was slow but it moved quicker than cross country ski ing. When peddling You could gear down to make it easier but you went slow. You could run faster with the same energy spent. I will be putting it back on this winter as it realy helped with the traction in the snow.
247jude

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
On the first heavy snow fall it is a whoot to ride but you also must remember any hazzards that may be under the snow. IE; broken glass, curbs, fallen trees/branches, larger sized rocks, washouts, potholes.
Have fun and know your surroundings!
247Jude

Antcliffe

Nov 18, 2009
Calgary
Hey all, I spent last winter working as a bike courier here in Calgary, AB and have previous winter experience. Before going for studs, try using the skinniest tire you can get on your bike, i run 700c. Basicly the skinnier the tire, the more pressure you have on that little patch touching the ground, you cut through the snow and slush and have less wash out effect. This is why they have skinny tires on the old jeeps. I've never used studs but from what I've heard and seen, you only want them on the sides of your tread to catch as the bike starts going sideways. If there's no snow and you got studs they'll tend to be a bit slippy on bare asphalt and concrete. Hope this helps!

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
^ he is %100 right, back in my youth teenage bike thieving to get around all year days, id purposley seek out speedbikes in the winter because of the skinny tires cutting through crap effect!

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Hey all, I spent last winter working as a bike courier here in Calgary, AB and have previous winter experience. Before going for studs, try using the skinniest tire you can get on your bike, i run 700c. Basicly the skinnier the tire, the more pressure you have on that little patch touching the ground, you cut through the snow and slush and have less wash out effect. This is why they have skinny tires on the old jeeps. I've never used studs but from what I've heard and seen, you only want them on the sides of your tread to catch as the bike starts going sideways. If there's no snow and you got studs they'll tend to be a bit slippy on bare asphalt and concrete. Hope this helps!
Hello Antcliff; I'm only 300 miles away from you -up here in Edmonton you are the closest dude that I've found yet ,here on the forum. Good to hear from some one of the great white north. Anyway, check out my Panaracer.....it is third up from the bottom on page 6 in the general discussion section of this forum.:)