Choosing the bike for an electric motor

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Choosing the bike
I am not a stranger to motorized bikes, both gas and electric. I have built 3 two stroke gas bikes and a four stroke gas bike. I have built 2 of the old WE bikes on Schwinn's and owned an EGO cycle for several years. I just purchased a WE like motor to mount on my girlfriends Schwinn 3 wheeler only she has changed her mind and doesn't want it motorized. So I have to motorized something else and as I already have this nice 26 inch wheel motor I can't help but think "cruiser". I do not like the newer Chinese Schwinn's or any of the cheap Chinese cruisers because of the seat to handle bar ratio. I am looking for a bigger size bike maybe an old Schwinn or an Electra or Felt. I could and will do a handle bar change and could use a lean back seat post. Any suggestions?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Re: Choosing the bike

There are a lot of Murrays still around from the 70s that are sturdy but inexpensive. Murray also made bikes for Western Flyer, Sears, etc. They all have the same pointy rear dropouts.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif

What I did buy is a brand new Phat Sea Breeze 1 they are a all steel pedal forward single speed cruiser. I bought it from a bike shop it will be ready for pick today I chose gloss black with aluminum wheels. It is a very pretty bike with good initial build quality and yes I did spend more than planned. My pedal bike is an Electra Townie 3i and I wanted that pedal forward feel. I am an old guy I need my comfort

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

me to jim that is why I got the trek pure. basically like the townie. we don't have a electra dealer on island or I would have got the Electra. what I would like to find someday is a cruiser with rear disk brakes

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

what I would like to find someday is a cruiser with rear disk brakes
The Kent made Fleetwood Cadillac cruiser came with a NuVinci internal shifter and disc brake.

They Caddy's are hard to find now but I did an e-mail from a guy just yesterday that scored a nearly new one and had some questions.

The real issue is beach cruisers just don't have frame mounted bosses for even V brakes most of time unless it's a 7-speed type bike let alone a disc.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif

That is a really pretty bike it looks a lot like the Electra Townie. I have ridden the Phat around a little and really do like it. I almost don't want to put a motor on it. I really do like pedal biking better than motor biking. I hope that putting the E - hub on the Phat is not just screwing up a really nice bike.

I am getting older and like the idea of power assist on hills and for the added boost. The gas motors for the most part have been a disappointment to me. The electrics have been too heavy and too limited in range. With this set up I will still pedal but have a choice. I still will have the weight to deal with. But I keep going back to the Townie, fit, quality, comfort and good looks what else do I need?

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif

well the problem is solved. The girlfriend decided she wanted the motor on the Schwinn Meridian after all. I installed it yesterday, I still have some wire routing and tying down to do. She thinks it is just about the greatest thing to ever come along! So that means she thinks I may be acceptable too, well at least for now. So now I have two really nice bikes to pedal around on.