The Real Deal on California Law.

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The only thing I see different is that now they actually SAY "a bicycle with an attached motor". They've always just said "motorized bicycle". It seems all they did was define it a little better. No big deal, we all know what a "Motorized Bicycle" is. Well, perhaps not.... I still hear people refer to a gas bike as a "power assist" bike. In a stretch you might call an electric bike power assist, But NOWHERE in the CVC or DMV sections does it call a gas bike "power assist.
Now, Watch me catch flack over this.
fatdaddy.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
GearNut,

not trying to start anything, just trying to get the facts, but what section of the California Vehicle Code requires headlight and tail lamp to be operated during day light on a motorized bicycle? I know that VC Section 24603 requires the stop lamp to be operated during day light as well as night.

Reading: http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf, I could not see the reference of operating the head lamp and tail lamp during day light on a motorized bicycle. Maybe you could point it out - I may have over read it.

It specifically states that motorcycles manufactured after 1978 must operate a head lamp while the engine is running. On motorcycles, tail lamps are required to operate during darkness, per VC Section 24600. It does not mention operating a tail lamp on motorcycles during day light.

Thanks,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
So if someone really wanted to be truly legal when we are pulled over, we have to have a real brake light that turns on when we apply a brake and gets brighter when it is being used as a running light at night.

If this is the case (and it is clearly stated from the state of California) then I wonder why someone hasn't come out with a fairly inexpensive kit that would be advertised on any one of the major advertisers we see on the sides of this website?

Isn't this an opportunity for someone???

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
If this is the case (and it is clearly stated from the state of California) then I wonder why someone hasn't come out with a fairly inexpensive kit that would be advertised on any one of the major advertisers we see on the sides of this website?

Isn't this an opportunity for someone???

Just search Ebay for scooter stop light/tail light and your wishes will come true!

Chris

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
I bought one of these, It's under $30 and has turn signals, brake light, running taillight, license plate holder, and license plate light in one unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Signals-Integrated-Kawasaki-Eliminator/dp/B006W25ZAU/

Downside is it's 12v, would be a lil easier to run a 6v system. Anyway I haven't installed it yet, I still haven't put together an elec system yet.

Check this one out for $1.13. (Plus $4.49 shipping.)

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Bike-Signal-Brake-Light/dp/B006BQEDEQ/

And you don't have to supply 12V, just 2 AA batteries. Plus it has a horn, which you also need in CA. Seriously, $5.62, add a cheapo headlight and you're legal.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Check this one out for $1.13. (Plus $4.49 shipping.)

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Bike-Signal-Brake-Light/dp/B006BQEDEQ/

And you don't have to supply 12V, just 2 AA batteries. Plus it has a horn, which you also need in CA. Seriously, $5.62, add a cheapo headlight and you're legal.
I've used several units like that, they're all toy pieces and easily overlooked by cagers.

If legal is all you're after, I spose it'll work - until it breaks because it's a chintzy toy piece.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I've bought one of those cheapo "toy" pieces too. Wires ripped several times, chip broke, headlight was red. WTH? RED? lol.

Anyway, I have soldiered good wires, and opened it up and re-soldered loose joints, disabled the turn signal sound by de-soldering completely a joint on the chip inside.

Also replaced the red headlight LED, with a bright white LED. Since it's only 1 LED and does not have mirrors around it to brighten up and focus the light, it's visible by other drivers, but not of much use to see the road far. Maybe I can try a brighter LED? That might require a larger batter though so instead, I would rather just get a good $10 mini flashlight and mount it up front to act as a headlight and save myself hours of hassle.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I put a cheapo one on my tadpole trike a couple years ago and it's still working, well, kinda. The right side turn signal went out, but turn signals are not required anyway. You might have a hard time putting one on a coaster brake bike because they work off the brake cable. You could wire the brake wires to a switched lever and put caliper brakes on the front. Thats what I did, works great on my Cranbrook. ebay has em.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200670410844?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
My Cranny is a 12V system, but they should work for the little battery operated stuff too. It's just a momentary on (off?) switch in the lever.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
GearNut,

not trying to start anything, just trying to get the facts, but what section of the California Vehicle Code requires headlight and tail lamp to be operated during day light on a motorized bicycle? I know that VC Section 24603 requires the stop lamp to be operated during day light as well as night.

Reading: http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf, I could not see the reference of operating the head lamp and tail lamp during day light on a motorized bicycle. Maybe you could point it out - I may have over read it.

It specifically states that motorcycles manufactured after 1978 must operate a head lamp while the engine is running. On motorcycles, tail lamps are required to operate during darkness, per VC Section 24600. It does not mention operating a tail lamp on motorcycles during day light.

Thanks,

Chris
It's all good! You are certainly not "starting any thing".
I could not find a requirement anywhere in the laws that state that you must operate any sort of lights on a motorized bicycle during daylight hours, and I did not mean to imply that such a law existed either.
However...
The rules for a motorized bicycle do state that you must have the equipment that I posted.
If you never ride at night, I suppose that you do not even need to wire any of the lights to be functional, but if you get pulled over by a LEO, his/ her opinion may vary greatly from my supposition.
FWIW, I have a bright as heck strobing LED light on the front fender that I operate during the day or night just to help get the attention of spaced out, half attentive cage drivers. It is not a guarantee, but it gets the odds better in my favor.