Flying Dogfish Air Cleaner

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Hey SB, a little trick my sister learned when she was punching out decorative paint cans to hold potpourri or candles or something, fill the can with water and freeze it that way you get nice even holes and the can won't distort. :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Face it Kev, you spelled "potpourri" correctly. We know it was you making those cans, Fess up. You enjoy home decorating.
An' who don't?

Put the knitting down!!!!! Kidding, kidding. (dang them needles hurt)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ramble all you want. I was sleeping anyway. Besides, I'm just starting out with this motor and want to know about it. I already want to remove the governor and don't even know what it looks like. And hooking up the throttle cable may be simple to you but I'm looking at my top of the motor stuff and don't have a clear picture in me head of what to do. Anybody have pictures?
Kevlar...Good idea on the frozen water in the can! Sure, it would keep it from wanting to collapse the metal. I had to keep pushing it back out.
Jim... I did rotate the pull start so that it is in the top position now. It will be much easier to reach over the engine to give it a pull or even start it while saddled up. Lots better. Thank you. I pulled the sticker saying "Engine" off the pull start since it was now cockeyed and stuck it on the end of the air cleaner. Now that tuna can looks even more like a stock item. Interesting how the eye can be deceived. I don't mind the shroud on this motor, even think it looks pretty good. And it is real metal, which I like. And blue is a good color. I suppose a person could take it off and paint it the same color as the frame of the bike to kind of tie things in visually and make it look more like the bike came that way straight from the Hardly Davidson factory. Ha!
Can anybody explain what to remove to disable the governor and have a picture of the way you hooked up the throttle cable? It would be much appreciated.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/dan3xd/RiverSide/1024001030.jpg

Is made from a screen door roller, the black spring from the governor and a broken spoke. Wrapped throttle cable around and stuck up threw a drilled hole. Stopped it with an old brake cable stop. Cost about 97 and a half cents. I got a set of brass ones (stop it, snork) but can't get a drill threw them for the cable. Would look much better but brass rollers are 3 bucks for a set of two.

The rollers fit the bolt on top of the shroud perfectly. Got lucky and they have bearings and are very smooth operating.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan,
Thanks for the throttle photos which I will study.
Before making a hardware run for longer u bolts for the motor mount I still don't know will work, I took a couple before & after pictures of the motor as it was and as it is. They sure look different without the gas tank, exhaust and air cleaner. I think the sticker looks kind of good on the lid of the air cleaner, making it look kind of stock. I noticed in the picture on the box that their motor glows. Mine doesn't glow at all. I suppose if it ever does glow it's time to break out the fire extinguisher. Ha!
SB

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL about the glow. "does your bicycle engine have that hy-pro glow or is it on fire?"

Big time, they are sexy engines broken down! Taking off the tank and muffler make a huge difference. Goes from pump/lawn mower motor looking thing to an aerodynamic power plant with lay-back down attitude.

Just MHO but would not worry about the ubolts working. First time I saw the grubee mount, I thought "ain't no way this will hold that thing on this thing" Still amazes me. Of the stock kits available, thats is the stoutest. Just saying I am sure you will do and be just fine. The 4 lil no good studs an' nutz on the china girls hold up so I have great faith you will build her well enough.

Having stickers made with my avatar and "MotorBicycling.com" on em for the pull start cover. Always thought that picture kinda cought the emotion of these crazy things really well.

Wow, just looked at your pics, opened, that does look cool and stock

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Did you check the date on the sticker on the front of the shroud? Had one engine made in 1999, lol. Just waiting for some one to rescue her from the island of misfit toys and give her a home on a bike. Who ever heard of a jack-in-the box names Charley?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
SB, great looking aircleaner :D I may do something like that. One question though, I'm pretty sure the carburetor has something that I've named a bleeder jet or soaker jet that leaks fuel, I think to make the carb take in a rich mix to start the engine, have you had any problem with this on your bike or do you not get leaking gas?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Actually I only tried this air cleaner for a few miles... didn't notice any leakage of any sort, but can't really say. I liked the way it looked, but found that my leg was running in to it some as I rode the bike. I put the stock air cleaner on and found that it tucks against the engine better. I've been riding it this way through the winter here in Maryland but then discovered how easy it was to have my pants go against the minimal air inlet on that stock cleaner... choking down the engine instantly when that happened as it was starved for air. Now I'm wondering if the dogfish cleaner breathes better and might result in more power. Today I removed the extra wide one piece pedal crank to bend the arms out a bit more to get my feet out a little from the engine. I'm planning to use a lay back seat post this summer when I return to Minnesota and will try the dogfish cleaner again to see how it feels since my leg position will be different. There is a spacer between the cleaner and the carb and I may try removing that so as to tuck the cleaner in closer to the engine by an inch or so.
SB