Question for Quenton Guenther or any Whizzer Historian

GoldenMotor.com

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama
Quenton,
I am trying to find information about the group or individuals who purchased the Whizzer trademarks and tooling and dies and brought them back into production. What was their background? Were they manufacturing types, marketing types, or Old Whizzer enthusiasts? Did they actually purchase any dies or molds, or did they start from scratch and create new ones? Did they go to Taiwan (or China) for the new production?

I know, that's too many questions for one thread, but I am seeking more information about the creation of the new Whizzer. I believe that there is a really interesting story behind the re-creation (for example, I'm guessing it took a chunk of money to pull it off).

Any additional information would be appreciated (from anyone)

Many Thanks,
Tom Bartlett (amateur motorized bicycle historian)

Hi Tom,

I too would like to know the exact history of the new edition Whizzers. I have asked many times and never really had most of my questions answered. I know quite a bit about the history of the new company, however I know far less. The majority of my knowledge has been compiled from 2002 and forward, leaving a big gap in the beginning stages. I have documented the majority of changes, if not all concerning the technical side. Maybe someday the information will be available, but currently a lot of the details are scetchy to say the least.

Have fun,

Mister Z

Jul 7, 2010
Mishawaka Indiana
Gene Trobaugh and other investors formed the new Whizzer Company after purchasing tooling from a company in Huntington Beach, California. After the purchase they discovered that I owned the Whizzer trademark.

In fact I had just received a ruling from the Federal Trademark Court in my favor and against the company that sold the name and tooling to Gene.

The tooling turned out to be useless because the engine was unreliable.

I sold the rights to the Whizzer trademark for cash and other consideration but did not take an equity position in the new company.

The first engine was designed based on a late model original engine I sent to Gene.

That engine was produced by Polar Engine Company in Taiwan. That company sold units in the United States under the Cyclone name which undercut the Whizzer market.

I am sorry to hear that the product is no longer under production.

When my health improves I will take the time to post some photos of the 1994 Whizzer prototype I had hoped to bring into production and photos of some actual product produced and sold.

Robert Zavor
Former President of Whizzer

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama
Robert,
Many thanks for the information. It's really good to get the straight info from one who was closely associated with the company. This leads to another interesting question:"How did you manage to end up with the Whizzer trademarks, etc.?"

Many thanks again,
Tom Bartlett

Mister Z

Jul 7, 2010
Mishawaka Indiana
I hired a law firm to do a trademark search. The trademark was considered abandoned but not public domain. I filed for registration under an "Intent to Use" application procedure.

I produced a product and sold it in several states which established use in interstate commerce.