Moped rear hub, where to find them?

GoldenMotor.com

damisch

Jul 26, 2013
Sundsvall, Sweden
Currently looking for parts for my BTR-build, can't seem to find the rear hub I'm looking for though...

I'm looking for a 36h moped rear hub, like this one:http://www.custommotoredbicycles.co...drum_brake_hubs_coaster_brake_hubsband_brakes
but can't seem to find them. Is there a brand I should search for on ebay for example (I tried to search for Puch hubs but it's super hard to find a complete one)?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pat at Sportsman has a hub that works with his sprocket, try treatland they have hubs or 1977 mopeds just make sure it has the back plate for the brakes. While we ar at it Has anyone found a moped hub with a 1/2 inch axel or better?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a lot of money for a moped hub.- $145.00... ouch. That one is set up with just the one sprocket for ent engine side drive. So you are not going to have a pedal for the bike?
There are different setups. That one would work with a Puch or Tomos or Sachs hub where the pedal is part of the engine and you can pedal the bike forward, pedal it backwards a good kick and it starts the engine, all using the one sprocket which also transfers power to the rear wheel from the engine.
Be sure of what you need. I think there are hubs with a sprocket on each side... one for pedaling and the other for the engine. I have one with a single sprocket on the pedal side only which had been a friction drive setup perfect for using it on a whizzer type belt driven sheave where you don't need a sprocket on the engine side. That one came off of an AMF Roadmaster and I'll be using it on my "kindalikeawhizzer" build. What kind of setup are you looking for? What is your build, what engine, what final drive? Someone will know just what you need and maybe where to find it. Good luck to you! msrfan might know.
SB

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I think you are looking for a Leleu hub. That is the manufacturer.

Here's the one I'm using:

I got mine used on ebay (first pic) and combined with the heavy duty wheelset, 12 ga spokes, and a brand new Arai drum front hub, I have about $150 total in my wheelset.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Atom,
That would be just the ticket for a pedal bike with chain drive on the engine side. The engine side sprocket bolts on to the hub. I would imagine that you could get different sized sprockets from the manufacturer or perhaps re-drill a sprocket to fit. By drilling out the spoke holes a bit you could also use 11 gauge spokes. It looks like a nice hub. How do you like it? And where can you buy them new, do you know? When you consider the cost of a clam shell adapter for a coaster brake hub it makes the price of a hub like this all the more attractive.
SB

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Atom,
That would be just the ticket for a pedal bike with chain drive on the engine side. The engine side sprocket bolts on to the hub. I would imagine that you could get different sized sprockets from the manufacturer or perhaps re-drill a sprocket to fit. By drilling out the spoke holes a bit you could also use 11 gauge spokes. It looks like a nice hub. How do you like it? And where can you buy them new, do you know? When you consider the cost of a clam shell adapter for a coaster brake hub it makes the price of a hub like this all the more attractive.
SB
SB,
Yes this moped hub has a freewheel on the bicycle side (its a normal bicycle freewheel) and a bolt-on sprocket on the engine side that can be changed out to a different ratio. Also, the engine side sprocket accepts 40/41 chain. It uses 11 ga spokes by default, but will accept 12 ga. It has a built in drum brake, and spares for the brake are still available cheaply.

I have not run the bike yet so I cannot comment on the hubs performance. I have read comments of other people on here that say the drum brake is not that good, time will tell.

I bought a complete Puch moped rear wheel on ebay for around $45 shipped, so I was very pleased with the purchase in light that it seems to be a really good solution to the problem of engine side sprocket and braking on a motorbike.

Be aware that I did have to spread the rear stays on my frame, approx 3/4" on both sides as I recall. This is actually a side benefit, though, because it gives more clearance for the engine side chainline.

Lacing the hub to my rim was a bear- I tried several times before I got it right. I ended up using 10" long 12ga spokes in a 3 cross pattern. The spokes still stick out the ends of the nipples, so I think 9-3/4 to 9-7/8" long spokes would work better.

I think using moped parts for our bikes makes huge sense.

Last edited:

damisch

Jul 26, 2013
Sundsvall, Sweden
Thank you all for the quick replys, keep em coming ;)

Pat at Sportsman has a hub that works with his sprocket, try treatland they have hubs or 1977 mopeds just make sure it has the back plate for the brakes. While we ar at it Has anyone found a moped hub with a 1/2 inch axel or better?
I've tried e-mail Pat last week but haven't got an answer from him yet.

You could also ask over on mopedarmy. They know all that stuff
Thank's I will!

That's a lot of money for a moped hub.- $145.00... ouch. That one is set up with just the one sprocket for ent engine side drive. So you are not going to have a pedal for the bike?
There are different setups. That one would work with a Puch or Tomos or Sachs hub where the pedal is part of the engine and you can pedal the bike forward, pedal it backwards a good kick and it starts the engine, all using the one sprocket which also transfers power to the rear wheel from the engine.
Be sure of what you need. I think there are hubs with a sprocket on each side... one for pedaling and the other for the engine. I have one with a single sprocket on the pedal side only which had been a friction drive setup perfect for using it on a whizzer type belt driven sheave where you don't need a sprocket on the engine side. That one came off of an AMF Roadmaster and I'll be using it on my "kindalikeawhizzer" build. What kind of setup are you looking for? What is your build, what engine, what final drive? Someone will know just what you need and maybe where to find it. Good luck to you! msrfan might know.
SB
I know what I want, I will not have working pedals for several reasons, I will never padal the bike around since it will be quite heavy. I will be building the frame myself with thick tubing to be safe and take some hard abuse from me riding it hard and the engine being a 15hp gx200. I will probably do like someone else on here did and weld the pedals to the frame, witch in my opinion looked pretty cool and would be a lot safer for the riding I will do with it. Thank you for taking the the time to reply with such a thought through reply, I'm blown away by the amount of help I've got in here this quick.

I just noticed you are not in USA. Try this website, I'm sure you will be able to find what you need. http://www.mopedland.ukfsn.org/index.html
Thank you, I can still order stuff from the US no problem but it is of course cheaper to order within Europe because of the custom fees, I will contact them.

I think you are looking for a Leleu hub. That is the manufacturer.

Here's the one I'm using:

I got mine used on ebay (first pic) and combined with the heavy duty wheelset, 12 ga spokes, and a brand new Arai drum front hub, I have about $150 total in my wheelset.
Thank you, that's exactly the one I want, looks awesome, I'm having trouble finding the hub complete with axle, bearings, brake plate etc. though...

Thank you, I'll look into it

SB,
Be aware that I did have to spread the rear stays on my frame, approx 3/4" on both sides as I recall. This is actually a side benefit, though, because it gives more clearance for the engine side chainline.

I think using moped parts for our bikes makes huge sense.
I will build my frame with wider rear end to start with so that will not be a problem for me, do you know exactly how wide the hub is lock nut to lock nut?
Fully agree with moped parts making sense since they're actually build for the speed and weight of these bikes. I don't like the idea of having a bolt on adapter when having a strong engine like I will, feels like alot of things can go wrong!

Last edited: