"Modern" V twin engine list.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm throwing some names into the hat to start a list of engines that may be found around the world and be of use to Boardie builders, and indeed anybody else building a Genuine Fake vintage bike.

Beachcomber has come up with the Yamaha XV chain drivers of various sizes.
I know that Honda do the 125 air cooled as well as a water cooled, and there's some others which escape me for the moment.

Not sure if any of the Kawasakis are chain drive, but Suzuki do a couple of chain drives, including the Marauder here.

Suzuki's SV650 is too Ducati like, tilted forwards, and the Hyosung derivative as well.

There are still Morini pushrod bikes about, but rare, even here, and they go 125 to 500.

Sachs sold an 800, but that has an 800 Suzuki in it.

That leaves us with industrials. Kohler, B&S, Honda all do pushrod V twins about 600cc and up to 800ish.

Feel free to add more, gentlemen.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Lifan make a chain drive XV250 clone, and the XV400 shaft drive Viagro version. Other Chinese factories do, but Lifan seem to have the best reputation.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
I've seen a Moto Guzzi mounted sideways .... the larger engines [ 750 - 1000 ] are quite big physically - but the 350 and 500 is quite compact.

Here's the unit I'm using for Cafe Creme - I plan to paint the whole thing in a new wrinkle paint we've tripped over in the car industry and then paint it satin / matt Cream to match the main colourways of the bike.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think there was collaboration on the Morini and Guzzi small twins. I know they both have the "wrong" cylinder head/piston arrangement.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Beachcomber..... buy a Yamaha engine...the Chinese clones are poor in quality.. I was going to buy a Lifan V 250...had a read on a few forums and was put off buying one.... DD

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The one consistent piece of advice I've had off pit bike racers is the top up the oil in a Chinese enging, warm it up, drain it and clean all the filters out. Then put a reputable grade of mineral oil in and run it in like an old British bike, with short intervals between oil changes, not forgetting to clean the filters out as well. Do it that way with Lifans and Zongshens, and they actually seem to run ok.

This is what I've been told by people whose opinion is worth knowing.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Dang! $1000 for a chinese clone v-twin? I think I payed around $1200 for my Briggs and Stratton, that extra $200 dollars is well worth the peace of mind if you ask me.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have a cheapo generator, lots of people told me it would break. It hasn't yet. I just don't ask it to cope with more than it's rated output. As I went over the top when I first ran it, and drenched the crankcase with 2 stroke oil as it might have been standing for years (bought 2010, mfg date of alternator part, 2002) to ensure the bearings and bore had oil in place to start with, that may well have helped. Once the smoke screen cleared.

Perhaps much of the bad publicity about Chinese stuff is justified, but some might not be, it could be down to owners/users having no idea how to bed something in or set a thing up.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have nothing against the smaller chinese engines, because they are cheap and parts are interchangeable with the non-china engines (this includes aftermarket parts). But when it comes to the larger v-twins I feel if you are already spending $1000 then you might as well spend the extra $200, and get a engine that has replacement parts as well as a well established aftermarket.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I base my distrust of small Chinese engines on the VAST numbers of broken bikes [ "project", "non-runner", "spare or repairs" ] every week on E-Bay.

There are literally dozens with low mileages [ sub 10,000 ] with damaged engines.

In reality, here in the UK we can buy good Japanese [ OEM ] small capacity bikes / engines quite cheaply - Yamaha, Suzuki.

Plenty of cheap motors in the up to 1000cc as well, although you will find the vast majority water cooled. Still plenty of scope with the air / oil cooled versions though.