Recoil starter?

GoldenMotor.com

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
The rope broke about 6 inches from the handle. Does anyone know how to get
the tension back on it? I can still get it to start by manually rewinding it, but that's no fun. I ordered a new one and hope it will be here by weekend. In the meantime................., It's the HF142.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Lots of youtube videos on this check em out.Could go to hardware store and get a new rope and rewind it today if nothing is broke.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Lots of youtube videos on this check em out.Could go to hardware store and get a new rope and rewind it today if nothing is broke.
I could not find anything specific on this particular recoil starter on youtube. The problem is in getting the rope retraction process going again. A rope 6 inches longer would not solve that problem. That screw in there does nothing when I turn it, except click click click. It's a mystery to me.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
You have to take it apart & rewind the spring. I've done it a few times & it's not easy. I always keep a spare one here because I've broken 3 of them over the years.
Jay

The rope broke about 6 inches from the handle. Does anyone know how to get
the tension back on it?
Two ropes are waking down the street by a bar, and one proposes going in, "Let's have a drink it there", says rope 1.
"You know they don't serve ropes in there; why even try?", says rope 2.
So, rope 1 musses-up his end and walks in the establishment up to the bar, "Gimme a whisky", he says.
The bartender replies gruffly, "We don't serve ropes in here. Aren't you a rope?"
Rope 1 replies, "Nope, I'm a frayed knot".

If you take apart the pull-start mechanism, you'll see how it works, and you'll figure out how to wind the cord. Be careful not to lose any parts. Also, winding the spring can be a bit dangerous because it can jump out and kill you. (Actually, that would be extreme, but I want to emphasize the hazard.)

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Two ropes are waking down the street by a bar, and one proposes going in, "Let's have a drink it there", says rope 1.
So, rope 1 musses-up his end and walks in the establishment up to the bar, "Gimme a whisky", he says.
The bartender replies gruffly, "We don't serve ropes in here. Aren't you a rope?"

If you take apart the pull-start mechanism, you'll see how it works, and you'll figure out how to wind the cord. Be careful not to lose any parts. Also, winding the spring can be a bit dangerous because it can jump out and kill you. (Actually, that would be extreme, but I want to emphasize the hazard.)
The only thing holding the mechanism in place is a screw. It is non- functional. It doesn't loosen nor tighten. I got the Honda starter the other day from Staton. Interestingly, it did not have the letter H engraved on the inside part like the Chinese clone did.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Good one! laff :D

The only thing holding the mechanism in place is a screw. It is non- functional. It doesn't loosen nor tighten. I got the Honda starter the other day from Staton. Interestingly, it did not have the letter H engraved on the inside part like the Chinese clone did.
What holds the spool in place? If only the container when it's closed, it's still a straight-forward job. --- DON'T LOSE ANY PARTS ---
Do you see where the end of the coiled flat spring hooks on?
Usually (I haven't seen your particular pull-start, but how different can they be?), you can hold it in using the thumb of your non-dominant hand, keeping the spring from unwinding. And you wind with the dominant hand. -- have to go.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
What holds the spool in place? If only the container when it's closed, it's still a straight-forward job. --- DON'T LOSE ANY PARTS ---
Do you see where the end of the coiled flat spring hooks on?
Usually (I haven't seen your particular pull-start, but how different can they be?), you can hold it in using the thumb of your non-dominant hand, keeping the spring from unwinding. And you wind with the dominant hand. -- have to go.
I do have experience with pull starts similar to the ones you describe. This one is different. If that screw does not loosen when I turn it, only a sledge hammer will make the mechanism, that you speak of, visible.

I do have experience with pull starts similar to the ones you describe. This one is different. If that screw does not loosen when I turn it, only a sledge hammer will make the mechanism, that you speak of, visible.
OK then, can you post a pic of the mechanism? I can't seem to find the engine "HF142". I suppose you mean Harbor Freight 142, but I can't find a pic of that either.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
OK then, can you post a pic of the mechanism? I can't seem to find the engine "HF142". I suppose you mean Harbor Freight 142, but I can't find a pic of that either.
HF142 is one version of the 50 cc Huasheng motor that is a clone of
a 50 cc GXH Honda.
I don't remember whether it is the 5/8" shaft or the clutch built into
the side of the motor but they both use the same pull starter.